Chapter 14

-Alex-

I looked at myself in the mirror for perhaps the hundredth time that night and smiled a little. I never found myself to be attractive, but I had to say that I cleaned up nicely when I wanted to. It wasn't much, but I had shaved, showered, put on cologne, and even put in a little gel in my hair. I didn't slick it back of anything, just make it seem a little tamer than it's usual choppy mess.

Wearing a pair of darker jeans that I typically didn't wear too often, and an untucked maroon dress-shirt, I felt ready to go. I picked up a light leather jacket that I had found hanging in the back of my closet earlier and headed out to my jeep. I made it to the front door before my mom rounded a corner.

"And where are you going?" She asked, sounding suspicious.

"I'm just hanging out with Jack," I replied a little too quickly, not wanting to deal with her usual antics when I did anything regarding my love life.

She shook her head. "I smell you wearing cologne and you never wear a dress shirt. What's up?"

"I... uh..." I was saved by a text tone. I pulled it out if my pocket only to have it snagged by her. Good lord, she seemed to fast to be human sometimes.

"Mom! I'm going to be late!" I protested.

She takes one look at the text and raises an eyebrow. I felt like she was going to say something, but she closed her mouth, obviously considering it. She handed me my phone sighed.

"Thanks," I said, opening the door.

"Tell her I say 'hello'" she said, smirking a little.

I felt my face turn a few shades of red, before darting outside and to my jeep before something else came up.

~*~

When I reached the small restaurant, I smiled to myself. Amber had chosen a small mom and pop Italian restaurant. It was always good, but I only came here when I was on a group date or playing an awkward conversation buffer to a friend. It was very romantic and I had yet to see anyone ever coming by themselves. I pulled up in front of it and paused, checking my face, hair, teeth, whatever else I could in the small mirror. It had been a very long time since I had started to feel self-conscious. I wasn't anything close to a male model and I knew I had flaws, yet nothing ever quite gave me a reason to care. 

Until then, obviously. The nerves were making my hands a little sweaty and I found myself shifting a lot in the driver's seat, even though I hadn't even walked in yet. I almost found myself feeling like I had the other night after the nightmare. 

"Why am I freaking out now?" I whisper-yelled to myself, trying to calm down. A deep breath and a huff of personal annoyance later, I jumped out and headed towards the door. The night was definitely cooler, helping calm my nerves and snap me out of whatever self-doubting state I was in. 

I was still a few minutes early, but I spotted Amber in one of the corner booths and found my feet heading her way. I only had to see and know it was her for the nerves to evaporate and the shaky feeling to subside. 

She smiled widely when I sat down across from her.

'All worked up for nothing' Xavier mused. I tried not to roll my eyes.

"I was afraid you might be late," she teased.

I mockingly looked offended. "Me? Why I could never."

She laughed, "Hey, that's my line!"

I smiled back, simply shrugging. The waiter came by and took our order, giving me a chance to look at her. She was wearing only jeans and what I think girls called a blouse, and I saw her wearing a couple of nice owl-earrings. She was absolutely stunning.