Chapter 24

-Alex-

There was a major downside to having a mate. Yeah, sure they made you stronger, completed the other half of you, made you as happy as can be. But there was that one downfall. The fact that even though the human half of you could still be on track enough to make good decisions, your wolf side is constantly worried about your other half.

Always.

I don't remember at one point where Xavier didn't have Amber in his thoughts.

And that's not all.

No, it's almost living hell when they are hurt, worried, scared, or anything that is outside of one's comfort zone. Don't get me wrong, I love Amber and would follow her to the end of the earth; and then jump off of it with her. It's Xavier that gets to me. Him and his complete worrying over our mate despite the fact that I can clearly see that she is okay.

"I told you already, Xavier. I'll be fine." She said with a slight wince. One of the pack nurses were cleaning up the wound after they removed the bullet, and I could tell that Xavier wasn't liking (that being a major understatement) how much our mate winced. It obviously stung, and I was giving her major credit for taking it so well. If it were me, I'd probably be grinding my teeth out and swearing up a storm.

Then again, I wasn't exactly there at the moment to compliment her. Nope, I was stuck on the bench called the back of my mind while Xavier had taken over. Which was peeving me because he and I both knew part of the situation was his fault -- even though we didn't know how.

On the way back to my parent's house he became very quiet and I could hardly acknowledge his presence in my mind. Ever since I'd shifted he was there and present in some way, yet at that moment he seemed pushed back by something. It disoriented him as well as myself, so when the hunters ambushed us, my head was cloudy and it was hard to think straight. Once the fighting had nearly died down I could feel him again but by then I didn't need to shift. 

If I hadn't been training, I would more than likely be dead. 

Xavier wrapped his arms around Amber's shoulders, holding her close to us. The nurse sent him a quick glare, but she continued to work.

"You were shot. And were bleeding bad. Did you forget the fact that it was a silver bullet?" He said flatly.

I had to roll my eyes at that. We both knew that one of my abilities from my dad's side allowed me to quell any toxic effects that silver had. This included being able to do so for others, especially the girl we had in our arms.

Amber just leaned into me, stroking my arm. I could tell Xavier was calming down, for the force that was keeping me back in my own mind was becoming lesser by the second.

"You're here. The pack is safe. I'll live, and we have the guy that shot me captured." She said soothingly. "It'll be okay."

Xavier put our head down into the crook of her neck, muttering something about not being able to get to her in time.

"Xavier, can I have Alex back now?" She asked softly.

He leaned his head up a little, looking at her. "What?" he joked. "Don't like having me around?"

She laughed a little. "No, I'm keeping you for Jackie."

Xavier playfully growled, nibbling softly on her earlobe. She let out a soft moan, pressing her body into us.

'Seriously, bro. Can I have control over my body now?' I asked.

I didn't even get a growl from him as he let me take over again. Guess he's happier now.