18: Found

It had been two days since he had left Hogwarts. Guilt hung over him like a blanket, always there, always reminding him of what he had done. Even though it had only been two days, it felt like an eternity to Draco. 

The Slytherin stood from his wooden bench by the fire and stretched his back and arms, relieving the aches with a loud pop. Draco walked into the small kitchen. Though it was less of a kitchen and more of an area with a counter by the table he ate at. He looked at the books on the shelf in front of him, running a careful finger along the spines. Draco glanced at the canvas walls and ceiling, silently cursing his father in his head for not leaving more useful books in the tent. 

Lucius had given Draco the tent during the war. From the outside, it looked no bigger than a one-person tent, once you walk in it was big enough to house a family. With a small 'kitchen' with a dining room, a living room area with a fireplace and one large bedroom, with two sets of bunk beds.

However, his father did not leave a very good book selection. 

All he wanted was a good, interesting, potions book to flick through. He had struggled through a tough twenty-four hours. Leaving the girl he loved, finding a 'safe' place to settle down for a while. Draco was just about to give up on finding a book when he heard a loud thud, accompanied by a feminine grunt, come from outside his tent. 

Draco knitted his eyebrows together as his hand flew to his wand, grasping it tightly in his dominant hand. He walked slowly, careful not to make a sound. Once he made his way to the tent entrance, he took a deep breath before pulling the canvas fabric out of the way as fast as he could, darting out. Practically running right into the figure that stood directly outside of the tent. A small shriek left the girls mouth as his wand shot up to her throat.  

"Draco! It's me!" She exclaimed, her hands raised in surrender. 

"Hermione?" He breathed. His features relaxed immediately, ignoring everything else and embracing her tightly. 

The brown haired girl giggled as he picked her up in the hug. "Hello to you too." She smiled, hugging him back just as tight. 

Draco gently set her down before questioning her, "What are you doing here, you know how dangerous it is-"

Draco was interrupted by a firm slap across the face. 

"OW!" Draco yelled, looking at her in confusion. 

"That was for leaving me with no damn explanation!" She crossed her arms over her chest, looking up at him angrily. "I mean honestly, what were you thinking?" Hermione snapped. 

"How did you even find me?" Draco exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air. 

Hermione still held the locket in her hand and lifted it to show him. "Locator spell. But that doesn't matter. What were you thinking?" She shouted at him. 

"I was thinking about you." He sighed, rubbing his cheek. "If you're with me you're in danger." 

"Yes, but leaving isn't the answer." She sighed, "If the Ministry finds out, you could be sent to Azkaban for the rest of the year!" Hermione tucked her frizzy hair behind her ears as she spoke. 

"It would be worth it as long as you're safe." Draco looked down at the girl, unspoken apologies hanging in his eyes. 

Hermione sighed, "its no matter now." She closed her eyes, looking at the snow beneath her. "Hogwarts isn't safe for now. McGonagall said she'd owl me when it is. So I think you'll be fine for a while." Hermione's voice was drained as she spoke to the boy in front of her. 

"What do you mean?" Draco's face turned to worry once again, a look she hated seeing on him so much. 

"Hogwarts was overrun." She explained, turning away from him to look at the surroundings. They were in the middle of snow covered mountains, settled in a small cluster of trees. One side leading deeper into the trees, the other overlooking the mountainside. It was beautiful but cold.

She heard him let out something along the lines of a whispered 'oh no'. She heard the snow crunch behind her and felt his arms wrap around her waist. Hermione turned to face him, "I'm so glad you're safe." He whispered into her hair. 

"You're still not off the hook for leaving, you arse." Hermione raised an eyebrow before turning around in his arms and hugging him tightly. 

"Hermione..." Draco sighed for what felt like the millionth time that day. "You have to go."

Hermione pulled away looking him in the eyes. "No." Her voice was firm. 

"Yes. You're in danger with me." He shook his head. "I want to be with you, but I'd never forgive myself if something happened to you."

"Well who better to make sure nothing happens, than you." Hermione cut him off again. "We can stick together till this is over Draco. You can keep me out of danger. You did it before, you can do it again, even more effectively since I'll be with you the whole time. Right?" She sputtered out, pleading with him to let her stay. Her hands tightly held onto his, her eyes searching his. 

There was a long silence as Draco looked her over for a moment, a skeptical look etched on his face. "Fine." He finally said, "but only because I'm so happy to see you." He shook his head before hugging her once more. 

-*-

Draco pulled back the canvas to usher Hermione inside. She ducked to enter the tent and smiled, "it's just like the one Harry, Ron and I stayed in while we were on the run." She looked around before turning to watch Draco perform a spell on the entrance to keep the heat in. "I assume you already put up protective enchantments so they cannot find you easily?" She asked. 

Draco turned and nodded, guiding her to the fire. He sat down, offering her the seat next to him. "I AM sorry for leaving. I just wanted to protect you." He explained quietly. 

"I know." She nodded, carefully putting the locket back around her neck. 

"I missed you." He admitted.

"Merlin forbid it." She smirked before leaning into him, finally feeling safe for the first time since he left.