chapter thirty: reunited with pansy

Harry woke on his birthday to the sound of the shower running. The Wireless in the bathroom was on high which meant that Draco was in a good mood. It was unusual for Draco to wake up before him, but not so unusual that Harry was going to be sending off any owls. The door to the adjoining room was open, but when Harry glanced inside to wish Lucius and Narcissa a good morning, he found it empty.

Making his way to the table set with breakfast, Harry sat down and pulled off the cover keeping his food warm. Crepes with cream and fresh berries greeted him along with sliced fruit and a bowl of porridge. Harry tucked in happily.

"Good morning," Draco greeted as he exited the bathroom. Harry shook his head at the sight of steam billowing out the door and wondered if there would be any hot water left. "Happy Birthday!"

"Thanks. We have crepes this morning."

Draco dropped down in his seat across from Harry and looked at his own breakfast. He had gotten grain cereal instead of porridge. Harry studied Draco a moment as he took a bite of his food. It was rare that he saw Draco when he was "less-than-perfect" so to speak. But Draco was in a pair of comfortably loose jeans and a polo shirt and his hair was still dripping slightly from his shower, curling at the tips and waving from the roots, and combed messily. Harry had never seen Draco without his hair done before. Even if he had to brush his teeth or go to the bathroom, Draco had refused to let him in until his hair was at least dried. He didn't even know that Draco's hair wasn't bone straight.

"I like your hair."

"Sod off, I didn't want to wait to eat."

"I mean it. I like your hair. It makes you look less severe." Harry didn't know why, but he kind of wanted to put his fingers through Draco's hair and feel the soft curl of it. Probably because it would annoy him so much. He knew better, though. Draco was notoriously for hexing someone who so much as breathed on his hair.

"Oh... Well... thanks."

Harry nodded and tried to ignore the satisfaction of noticing that Draco's face had gone pink and splotchy, the way it tended to when he was embarrassed. "Anytime."

They ate in a comfortable silence and once Harry had his fill he graciously offered Draco the bathroom to finish his morning ordeal. As Draco finished, Harry read quietly, humming along to a song he recognized on the Wireless. Definitely a Weird Sisters song. Just as he was getting everything ready, Narcissa poked her head into the room to let him know she and Lucius were back and they both wished him a Happy Birthday.

Harry grinned as he passed Draco on the way to the bathroom. He dropped off his things and started the shower and let it warm. He brushed his teeth while the shower heated to almost scalding before he climbed in. It wasn't until Harry started washing his hair that he realized that Draco hadn't straightened his hair once he had dried it. Feeling smug and satisfied, Harry ducked under the spray to rinse the lather from his hair.

After showering, Harry emerged from the bathroom feeling fresh and clean. He heard voices from the adjoining room and noticed Draco wasn't in their bedroom so he slipped into the other room without hesitation. Draco was prodding at a gift wrapped in emerald green paper and Harry guessed it was the "most amazing" gift Draco had gotten him. It was rather large and boxy looking. Now Harry was intrigued.

"Draco seems rather intent on you opening your gift now, Harry. Of course, it is entirely your choice."

Harry smiled at Narcissa's pragmatic announcement and squatted next to Draco and the large... thing. Whatever it was it was in a box about three feet long a foot wide and at least five feet deep.

"Go on." Draco nudged him with a knee. "Open it."

Knowing better than to argue with Draco, Harry sat flat on the floor and with a low grunt of exertion, tugged the large box of a thing towards him. Once it was comfortably settled between his legs, Harry peeled off the wrapping paper. Strangely, as he peeled, Harry heard quiet murmuring in his ear. His brow creased until the last of the paper fell away and the murmuring was no longer a mystery.