Let Him Go

A/N: Important note at the end

        Klaus pulls away from me. His eyes search mine for any clues to how I'm feeling, but I'm frozen to my spot, surprised after everything that just happened. He loves me? Me? The me I am now, not the old me. This whole time I thought he was stuck in the past, stuck in what we used to have. Instead, he's been in the present. I wanted him to let the old me go, and he did, and I never noticed. I never cared enough to ask. And now, he loves me...

I take a step away from him. His hands fall from my waist. But this doesn't change anything, it can't. I drop my head, shielding my face from his. I don't know what to say, what to do. Klaus, though, takes care of the silence, whispering, "Lily, I know that you need time. I understand that. However, you need to understand that each day it pains me to see you, knowing that I cannot have you, not to own you, but to have you by my side."

I lift my head, my eyes flicking to find his. "Klaus," I whisper, shaking my head slightly. "I don't know..."

A door opening, footsteps on the wood floor, interrupts me. Klaus gives me one more look before going to meet Rebekah and Stefan. I stay behind, trying to wrap my mind around what had happened. Deciding I need a drink, I head to the tray of alcohol to my right and pour myself a glass of bourbon. Downing the glass, I inhale once, then go off to meet up with everyone else. They are back in the room with Connor, Rebekah eyeing the hunter with disbelief.

"Is this a trick? How do you know he's one of the Five? Where's his bloody tattoo?" Rebekah questions her brother. Taking a stand next to Stefan, who leans against the doorway, he sends me a look. The concern wrinkling around his brow signals me that his look if one of questioning. Questioning if I am okay after my time spent with Klaus. I send him a look back, my lips tugging the slightest to let him know that I'm fine, a lie.

"Oh, the tattoos aren't visible on this lot like they were on the last. Let's eat," Klaus smiles, walking past us. Rebekah follows. I roll my eyes, which Stefan catches, sending me an amused glance, as we follow behind her. Klaus takes us to a table. Rebekah takes a seat across from him, leaving Stefan and I to flank them, stuck in the middle. A blonde girl in a tight outfit lays glasses and plates on the table. No one says anything as we wait for her to come back out with food. The air is filled with tension as I send Stefan looks to let him know how uncomfortable I feel right now. He nods to me slightly, agreeing, but I know he wants answers, to know what Klaus meant earlier about Elena. Finally, the serving girl lays out the food on the table. As she prepares to leave, Klaus smiles at her. "Thank you, my lovely." He watches her for a second before his eyes fall onto me as she walks away. I keep my face blank, knowing that he did it to cause a reaction, but he won't get to me that easily. His eyes fall to the rest of the table. "I could kiss the Council for burning up all the vervain in town. They made my life so much easier. Rebekah, love, eat your veggies."

Rebekah frowns at him. "I'm not eating until you apologize."

"For which indiscretion? There have been so many," Klaus smirks at his sister.

Rebekah looks at him incredulously. "You broke my neck."

"You threw away Elena's blood so I can't make any more hybrids."

"Because you took me for granted."

"That's what big brothers do, sweetheart!" The siblings go back and forth. I roll my eyes, leaning back in my seat with a groan. I had no intention of being stuck in the middle of a Mikaelson fight. From experience I know that they can get nasty.

"Let me just name the million other people I'd rather be having dinner with right now," Stefan mumbles, replicating my feelings. I send him a look, raising my brow in agreement. His eyes roll, letting me know how fed up he is with the siblings too.

Klaus draws his attention from Stefan to Rebekah, leaning back as he throws his hands in the air. "Alright, fine. I'm sorry. I often forget how delicate you are. Forgive me?" Klaus says with little genuineness.