The Veil

I wait with Damon in the Mystic Falls Hospital for Stefan. Sheriff Forbes called us here. Catching Stefan bypassing the police tape and the groups of police in the hallway, I watch him approach us. "You just missed the doughnuts," Damon greets Stefan. I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, I was with Elena, burning off a few thousand hate-filled calories. What happened to you helping me?"

"Help, yes. Prolong the inevitable? Waste of my time," Damon answers, crossing his arms.

"Mm, you're avoiding. How unexpected," Stefan comments, shading Damon.

"I'm not avoiding. Elena's only goal is to end Katherine's life, and that's not gonna just magically disappear with pilates and a juice cleanse," Damon replies defensively.

"Can you two shut up?" I say as I watch Sheriff Forbes walk toward us. This whole Elena sucking at being a functioning vampire thing is really starting to get old.

"Hey guys, thanks for coming," the Sheriff says. Stefan mumbles 'hey' as Damon jumps into it.

"Why were we invited?"

"Well, the hospital has kept the blood banks empty ever since they were raided last month. We thought at the very least it would help keep the vampire population away," Liz explains.

"And it didn't?" Stefan questions.

"See for yourself." Stefan, Damon, and I share a look at Liz's words. Damon shrugs and we follow Liz into a room where a patient lays dead on the bed with wrists that were clearly bitten into.

"Pleasant," I remark, looking at the sight. I squish my nose up. Damn!

"There are four other victims in this wing, each one almost completely drained of blood. You think it's Silas?" Liz asks as she steps closer to the body to examine the wounds.

"Or a doctor with some very questionable bedside manners," Damon comments sarcastically. I roll my eyes again.

"But 5 victims? That's a lot of blood, and it's not like he can take it with him," Liz says, trying to figure it out, as she turns to us. Questions blaze in her eyes.

"Unless he's fueling up for something big," Stefan adds, his forehead crinkling in concentration.

"Big?" Liz repeats. "Any details would be helpful, considering I'm dealing with 5 grieving families out there and a psychic killer on the loose."

"Well, Sheriff Forbes, Silas wants Bonnie to do a spell to drop the veil from the Other Side," I speak up, facing the others after staring at the body for a second longer.

Liz looks at me confused, "I have no idea what that means."

"It's an invisible wall that separates our plane from the plane of all dead supernatural creatures. Now, Silas wants that to go away so he can take the cure, die, and not have to spend an eternity in a supernatural purgatory," Damon explains to her.

"And when do you suppose Silas plans on doing this?" Liz questions.

"Next full moon. Tomorrow night."

...

We're still with Sheriff Forbes at the hospital when all the lights begin to flicker until they turn off. A call from dispatch and Caroline herself alerts us that the whole city is experiencing a power outage. From looking out the window, I can tell that the wind outside is brutal too. Liz pulls out a map and shines a flashlight over it as she talks.

"The power outages originated at 3 different places in town: the Young farm, the Lockwood estate, and a blown transformer off Old Miller Road." I glance at the dots Liz makes with a marker on the map to show the three places. It's the Expression triangle. Stefan sees the same thing as he picks up the marker and starts to connect the dots.