Chapter Five

His phone woke him up.

Jack had left it on the night table in the eventuality someone would update him. It didn't take him long to realize both of his arms were pinned down. He smiled as he became aware of the newcomer. He kissed her little head. Sometime during the night she must have sneaked into their bed.

"You are losing your edge, Hudson," he whispered. "If someone can cuddle against you at night without your knowledge."

On the other hand, it wouldn't stop him from living a very happy life. Come to think of it, he kind of recalled lifting the blanket so she could crawl against him... kind of.

The phone kept ringing. Unfortunately the hand he needed to answer was presently otherwise occupied at keeping his lovely fiancé as close to him as possible. He placed a kiss on her forehead as he untangled his arm from around her. She stirred, shifting over his chest. That's nice, too, he thought enjoyably. While stretching he was able to reach the annoying piece of technology.

"Hudson." His voice was still groggy.

Sue was observing through half closed eyes. He'd woken her up when he removed his arm.

"Mate, are you still asleep?"

"Obviously not since I am talking to you, Bobby."

Bobby, thought Sue, a tiny smile coming to life around the corner of her mouth.

"Am I catching you at a bad time?"

"No, it's not a bad time."

"Only bad timing," added Sue in a silky voice, loud enough for Bobby to hear.

Jack's jaw dropped.

Myles was driving. He turned his head toward his passenger as Bobby choked on his coffee.

"Bobby, are you okay?" asked Myles. Bobby nodded. Did he just hear what he thought he heard?

"Mate, is Sue with you?"

"Of course, she is with me," replied Jack while he eyed her. He was very suspicious of the glint that shone brightly in her eyes. "She and Jay are with me."

"In his bed," she added, providing more details than Jack.

Jack stared at her in disbelief while he tried to concentrate on Bobby's outburst.

"Did she say in your bed?" repeated Bobby.

Myles raised an eyebrow as he followed that end of the conversation as attentively as he followed the road.

"It isn't what you think, Bobby," said Jack, trying to regain control of the conversation, but failed miserably as Sue added another witty remark.

"Then Bobby has a lousy imagination," she pointed out loudly as she sensuously caressed his chest. "On top of his lousy timing."

She had him flustered.

"Mate, Sue is like my little..."

"I will call you back in a few minutes, Bobby," Jack told him since he could barely hear what Bobby was saying.

"Make it an hour, Bobby," said Sue all mushy, before taking the phone from Jack and turning it off.

Bobby stared in utter disbelief at his dead cell phone. Lousy imagination? He had way too much imagination right now. An hour? In how much trouble could someone get in an hour? Myles refrained from making any comments.

She had the most adorable devilish grin Jack had ever seen and she had been toying with him all along.

"What was that? Payback time?"