Saving Theon

You knew you didn't have much time and you knew what little time you did have was going to be spent trying to assure him that this wasn't some cruel trick at the hands of Ramsay. You had to try, no matter the punishment your Father and Brother would give you if caught.
Running through the halls of the Dreadfort, you managed to stay silent besides the soft pants of your breath. Getting to the door at the end of the hall, you pulled it open and descended down into the darkness and the cold. Shivering in your gown and fur cloaks, you grabbed the keys off the hook and effectively stabbed the jailer in the throat so he couldn't run off and tell on you. Then moving down to the end of the hall you quickly unlocked the metal door and pushed it open. Your breath caught at the sight before you.

Theon Greyjoy, you had met him once back in Winterfell when you were just a little girl and your Father was attending the harvest feast. He still looked the same, though you imagined any longer on the giant wooden x would have ruined the handsome looks. He was missing his pinky on his right hand and the middle finger on his left and several pieces of skin had been flayed on his arms, legs, chest, and neck, but other than that and a few broken teeth your bastard brother had yet to do much damage.
"Theon, we're going home." And by that you meant you were taking him back to the Iron Islands.

The North was now under your Father's control after the murders of Robb, Bran, and Rickon, and probably Arya Stark as well. The crown under Hand of the King Tywin Lannister had "gifted" it to House Bolton. You had no desire to stay there as a plaything for your Brother and Father's sick plans. His eyes opened slowly, adjusting to the darkness, and then he was pleading and trying to pull away from whatever torture he must have thought was coming.

"You must be quiet, Theon, they will catch us." You pleaded right back, working quickly to undo the straps on his wrists and ankles.
A sigh escaped your lips when he immediately fell silent. He must have realized you weren't Ramsay or one of Ramsay's "friends." He had lost a good bit of weight in the time he had been there, but still when he fell from the x you nearly crumbled to the floor under the dead weight of him.

"Here, you must dress quickly." You dropped the bag you had been carrying and pulled out boots, trousers, a tunic, and a fur cloak. "Quickly," you ended up having to help him, but thankfully he seemed healthy enough to walk on his own for the most part. "Why are you doing this?" he asked softly as you helped him out of the room and down the hall toward the passage that led out through the sewers.
You didn't answer at first. You couldn't decide which answer to give him, to be honest. After a minute or so, you whispered into the darkness "You, Robb Stark, and Jon Snow were nice to meet during the harvest feast a few years ago at Winterfell. Robb Stark is dead and Jon Snow is...at the wall I believe...you're the only one left."

"I can't go home...not to the Iron Islands."
"Yes you can. You are iron borne, Balon Greyjoy's heir...you have to go home." You argued with a roll of your eyes as you both bent over slightly to move through the small tunnel.
In the close space, you felt his hair touch your face as if he had shaken his head and then Theon was saying "No...I need to find Bran and Rickon...I need to protect them." You tried to ignore the thick emotion in his voice. "I...I didn't kill them...I lied...to protect them from whatever Ramsay would try and talk me into doing to them. I...I knew they were under the castle, in the crypts...but they were safe there...I have to protect them...to make it up to Robb and...and Lord Stark."

You didn't know what to say about his confession but you agreed with him. You couldn't go to the Iron Islands. You were a Northerner, your liege lord and Warden of the North had always been a Stark not a Bolton...Ned Stark and then his son Robb not your Father. Bran Stark was the rightful heir to Winterfell and the rightful Warden of the North now that his older brother was dead, and Rickon after him. You had to find at least one of the Stark boys.

You had to. It was the only way to save the north from Roose and Ramsy Bolton. From your own family.