A Token of Affection Pt. 2

The Greyjoy was smart enough to keep his distance- at least, at first. It certainly didn't stop him from pining after her and moping about Winterfell, dodging questions from her brothers about his seemingly random mood swings, and observing from afar. But, it kept him from approaching her, and for that, she was grateful. But the peace, as was often the case, did not last.

Theon was never the type to leave gifts. To leave flowers for his lady lovers, or write them poems declaring his love, it was simply not of his nature. He would often show affection in other ways, more sensual ways. When an argument arose, it would be resolved in the bedroom.

His gifts were more of the physical kind, and his poems were more of the sinful lot- whispered in one's ear with a breathless and keening voice. And for the many months during which the two were entangled, this approach seemed to function perfectly. Anger or resentment could be settled by a nighttime romp, the threat of detection keeping them from shouting at each other. Theirs was destined to be a short relationship, and the two acknowledged it from the beginning. Their kisses were not of lovelorn passion, they reeked of lust and desperation.

All this forethought did not dull the sting of Theon's words to her the week before last.
As time wore on, she forgot the exact wording, but she remembered the tone, and the anger in his eyes. She'd been goading him on, hadn't she? She'd been looking for an out for weeks. Why was she feeling this... reluctance? Though her heart did not sing for his, did it mean that she could not care for him? The questions themselves were dizzying.

So, when Theon presented her with that necklace, and asked for her hand, why did she not leap into his arms as her heart instructed?
She laughed, and though it rung hollowly in his ears, he felt the warmth behind it. She'd been drinking. Her poor posture and lack of cadence was enough to draw that conclusion. He glanced around for her brothers, swallowing when he found the two were alone. He watched her trip over her own feet and sprung forward to ensnare her in his arms. "Easy there, lovely." The pet-name slipped out, as it often did, and Theon had long since accepted the interchangeability of his name for her and her given name. Though it had often raised eyebrows from her brothers, they had long since accepted his brotherly affections for the younger lady.

If only they knew. She slung her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder. "Theon," she slurred quietly, like a secret between the two. "Father says he's looking for my husband." Theon swallowed and offered a tense smile. "I've heard." He helped her upright, but found that he could not easily remove her hands from him.

She was silent for a few more moments, shaking her head against his shoulder, and burrowing her nose into the crook of his neck. "I'm scared." She offered finally, muffled against his skin. His heart lurched, and he feigned a humored chuckle. "Scared? Of marriage?" Another head shake.
He blinked, attempting again. ''Of your husband?"

She lifted her head and met his dark eyes with her own bleary ones. "Of the consum-" she stuttered for a moment before sounding out the word. "Consummation." She searched his eyes for an unknown answer. "Can you-" she hiccuped quietly, clasping a hand over her mouth. "Can you help me?"

Theon felt his heart leaping into his throat, suffocating him the longer he waited alone. He needed to see her. It had been too long since he'd heard her voice, felt her touch, kissed her lips. If this was desperation, he was a desperate man. If this was love, he was a foolish one.
She rounded the corner and nearly jumped out of her skin. "Theon-"

"Y/N." He began, reaching out to clasp her smaller hands in his. "If this is what it takes for you to forgive me, I'll do it, I'll marry you." He fumbled in his jerkin pocket for a moment, returning with a small necklace, a tiny ship on a golden chain. "Please, just let me."
Her expression grew dire. "Theon-"
"Marry me, and I promise I'll take you away, to the other side of the world if need be." There was a glint in his eye, as though this had been a long time coming.

From around the corner, a second steps of footsteps quickened, and this time, her brothers did not overlook them. Robb Stark rounded the corner, a murderous expression on his face, his fists clenched by his sides. Almost as quickly as a man could blink, Theon was thrown against the wall, Robb's forearm pressing on his throat. "What did you say?"