Chapter 1

The weather in Boston was starting to turn warmer now that May had ended and it was heading into June. Erica was especially happy for the sunshine now that she had moved into her new home and had a nice big backyard for her dog. A wide grin spread across her pink lips as she stepped onto her back deck, looking over the green grass and picturing her spending hours out here playing with her dog and letting him lounge in the sunshine.

She finally had saved enough money to move from her apartment in the city to the suburb of Boston, buy a cozy home and have a nice big backyard for her dog. Even though she only had moved in earlier in the week, she already knew she was going to love it here.

Erica had been busy on the Saturday afternoon, unpacking her things but she had to take a break and go take her dog outside. She had spent most of the morning out with him but seeing him out the window, running around like crazy in the grass just made her not want to miss it.

"Jacky! Look what I have for you!" Her silky smooth voice called out, showing him the new rubber ball.

The golden retriever barked before bounding over to her feet and started bouncing all around. She laughed loudly before throwing the red rubber ball all the way to the wooden fence where he went running at lightning pace to get it. The two played this game over and over again until she heard a different bark followed by a little whimper. She realized it was coming from the neighbor's yard but ever since she moved in, she had never seen whoever lived there.

Secretly, Erica hoped it was an adorable little family with some cute little kids that could come over and play with Jacky. She wanted to be able to bake them treats and make things for them and get to entertain them in the summer sunshine but so far, she didn't know who the occupants were... well.... She actually had met one of them.

The one that she had met came sliding under a hole that he had dug under the wooden fence and quickly came trotting over to where she was on her deck. Erica kneeled down and scratched behind the cute dog's ears.

"Hi buddy! You're back!" She giggled, surprised to see him again since he already had been over that morning although she was happy to see the brown and white dog again. "I'm glad you came to see me again!"

The dog barked before happily wagging his tail and jumped on her lap. Erica's dark brown wavy curls shook with laughter before brushing her straight across bangs out of her face so the dog could lick her face. It didn't end up lasting long though because when Jacky came running back with the ball and Erica threw it again, the two dogs happily ran together to go get it.

While this was going on, Erica heard a boisterous laugh echo through the air before a low voice called out, "DODGER YOU MEATBALL! WHERE ARE YOU? GET BACK HERE!"

"HE'S FINE! HE'S OVER HERE!" Erica called back to the unseen stranger.

A moment later, she saw a head pop up over the wooden fence. The stranger was strikingly handsome with a chiseled jaw and dark brown hair that was neatly swooped back. A perfectly groomed beard covered the bottom part of his face and the dark color of it only provided a bigger contrast to his steel blue eyes. A smirky smile was on his lips, showing perfectly white teeth and she could already tell this man was full of laughter and fun.