❀ Chapter 1

England • 1816

THUNDER boomed the sky as the clouds cried with an intensity, pelting droplets on my window payne. I've always somehow been fascinated by the rain - the way it fell from the sky so free and effortlessly. It would always spark an urge in me to run outside and feel the cool droplets on my skin.

The constant, loud patter almost matched the intensity of my fleeting thoughts. I didn't want to leave the only home I've ever known.

"The carriage has arrived my dear," Papa notified softly. I averted my gaze from the window and saw him holding my cloak. I rose from my bench and met him in the middle of my bed chamber.

"Papa I do not wish to go. Please let me accompany you, I would love to see uncle James," I attempted to persuade him with my best pleading countenance. But he shook his head with a look of sorrow, which made my heart ache even more.

"You must go, sweetheart. I have already written your Aunt. I'm afraid the Earl and Countess of Stratford are expecting your presence."

My stomach churned at their titles. Papa handed me my cloak and I reluctantly put it on. He went to pick up my luggage and began to walk out of my bed chamber.

"I'm scared," I whispered. Papa immediately stopped in his tracks and put my things down.

"Oh Della," He walked over and pulled me in to an embrace, "You are going to be alright. I promise."

He pulled from our hug and swiped away the tears that began to spill from my eyes, "I know how fearful you are. But I also know that you are strong . . . You are my strong girl."

I smiled weakly at his confidence.

"Now let us go," He prompted. I nodded and regained myself, following his figure out of my bed chamber.

We headed out into the unceasing rain and climbed into the carriage with haste. When we started to move, I watched as our cottage grew smaller and smaller the more distance we gained. Soon, it was out of sight.

Although the ride was silent, thoughts buzzing in my head were blaring. For majority of my life it has been just Papa and I. Now that he had to work overseas and leave me with my estranged family, it was like trepidation itself locked it's hands around my neck.

Lady Stratford is my mother's older sister, what would she be like? Would she look just like her?

My heart plummeted at the thought of my mother. I wish she was still here, I wish I had more time with her.

I wish I knew her.

But she passed away too early in my youth, leaving me with nothing but blurred memories. As the years went on, Papa has courageously taken on the role of both parents.

"Good heavens," He whispered, staring out of the window in mesmerization. A thick, dark black blanketed the sky now.

I scooted over to the window. We were on a winding gravelly path, that lead to a huge estate. I couldn't make out any detail, but the lights in the various windows stood out.

"It's . . . ," I was at a loss for words.

"Quite huge," Papa chuckled. I nodded in immense agreement. The carriage came to a halt and I looked to Papa with fear.