❀ Chapter 3

I THANKED the housekeeper as she poured steaming hot tea into my teacup. Lady Stratford and I were seated on the sofa in the drawing room. She waited for the housekeeper to leave us in solitude before commencing to speak with me. I was a bit nervous to what this conversation would entail.

"I would like to talk about your mother," My heart instantly dropped to my feet at her words. Papa has only told me that she ran away from home to be with him.

I never pushed him to talk about her, even though I longed to discover more. I knew it would only invoke the sad painful memories of her death. To hear Lady Stratford's side of the story would finally be the long awaited missing pieces of the puzzle.

I gave a nod and she she slightly turned her body toward me, "We were quite close as children. She was always the wild one, while I remained a bit more reserved."

I carefully picked up my cup of tea. Little billows of steam were still dancing up into the air, so I cautiously brought it to my lips and took a tiny sip.

"Our parents had expectations for our future," She continued, "We were daughters of a Duke and Duchess, therefore we were to marry well. I met Lord Hawkins during the Season. He was a pure gentlemen."

I smiled at the fond memory that unfolded in her mind.

She sighed, "But of course Rose had to fall in love with a man with no title or a shilling to his name. She married your father against our family's wishes. We lead completely separate lives from that day on."

A sad countenance diminished my gingerly smile.

"And then I received a letter that she became ill with a very aggressive disease," She blinked away her tears, which only invoked mine to surge at the linings of my eyes.

"And by the time I had written your father back . . . ," Her voice shook in a low whisper, "She was already gone."

I pressed my lips into a thin line to prevent them from trembling and swiped away my rolling tears. She left that painful sentence hanging in the air for a few moments. Then she sniffled, straighten her back and wiped her tears with a new found strength.

"I must be truthful with but you. I faulted your father. I know that he loved her and did not intend for any of it to happen, but had she married a wealthy man who could have taken better care of her, we might still have her presence."

"But . . ." I furrowed my brows and shook my head in immense disagreement.

"But what?" She took a sip of her tea and rose a challenging brow.

"Every fiber in my being knows that Papa fought with every breath he had to save her. With all due respect my lady, sickness does not solely strike the working class. And it is to be rewarded when you follow your heart in the name of love, is it not?"

She stared at me long and hard before setting her teacup down gently.

"Oh dear," She sighed, "You are just like your mother. But I must tell you during your stay, I shall hold you to the same standards as I do my daughters. You will attend your first Season when the warmer months arrive, and meet many eligible suitors."

Her authoritative tone made goosebumps raise on my skin.

She laid her hands on either sides of my arms, "I shall act as the mother you have lost."

I gave a weak smile and tried my best to control my heaving chest. No doubt, I wanted to please her and was touched she wanted to fill my void. But I certainly did not want to adopt any of her views of marriage.

If I ever married, it would be for love over a title and did not want to be shamed for it. But I told myself to brave it. She was the only other connection to my mother, and something in me desired her approval of me.

"You may go," She smiled pleasantly and I nodded in return.

"There is a lovely painting of your mother on the third story," She called out just before I reached the doorway, "Go have a look."

I turned around, "I would be happy to."

I walked out of the room, baffled how one person could instill both a sense of fear and some sort of endearment at the same time.

_________________________________

A/N - short but sweet! I know I hyped Christopher up (I promise he'll make an appearance in the next couple chapters) but before I introduce him, I wanted to develop my characters a bit more.

What'd you guys think of that tea sesh 👀

Votes/Comments are much appreciated!

- kya h.