❀ Chapter 19

THE carriage ride over to the Arlington's townhouse was a torturous one. Tension hung tight in the air, as I seemed to focus on every fine thread of my cream silken glove. Nobody dared to speak a word, even at breakfast the atmosphere was stiff and solemn. The letter we received from the Duchess had shaken us all.

The way Christopher assured me of his safety as he kissed me was fresh in my mind. I concentrated on the warmth of his touch, his confident love for me.

Would he remember any of it?

Tears pricked at my eyes several times, and I tried my best to hold the emotions in place. I took a deep breath and focused my gaze at the window. Persuading myself to guide my thoughts elsewhere was a hopeless battle.

How could I think about anything else when it is not for certain if the man I love would even remember my face! I wanted to prepare for the worst. Yet, a large part of me still held hope. This was Lord Arlington. Christopher. Surely his love for me would prevail over a head injury.

It has to.

When the carriage came to a halt, my heart plummeted to the pit of my stomach. The butler swung the carriage door open, and offered his hand as an aid. He opened the black needled gate and allowed for us to walk through.

I uttered a hushed thank you as I kept my eyes on the pavement.

"Alaina for goodness sake close the book," Lady Stratford commanded icily. And for the first time, she did as she was told without a snipped remark. Astrid - like a true lady, kept her hands neatly clasped in front of her. The butler then sauntered to the front of us before we got to the small set of concrete steps.

He opened the door and motioned for us to step in, "The Earl of Countess of Stratford accompanied by their daughters and Miss Andrews."

There the Duke and Duchess stood. Her Grace had a reddened nose and puffy eyes. Yet she still wore a smile, and it lightened my heavy heart.

"Thank you for coming with such haste," She greeted.

"On this unfortunate occasion," the Duke chimed in, "We appreciate the deed, and I know Christopher will as well."

"How is he?" The words rushed out of Astrid's mouth. Deep concern cradled her island blue orbs.

"Why don't you let Mr. Wesley take your things and we shall see him," Her Grace suggested. With that, I took off my cloak and slid off my silk gloves to give Mr. Wesley.

"I must attend to some business in my study. I hope all goes well," the Duke bowed his head politely and left us.

We followed Her Grace down a narrow hallway. My eyes roamed the walls, adorned with family portraits. Lady Stratford and the girls walked closely with Her Grace, while Uncle George and I lingered behind.

"Are you well my niece?" His voice was hushed.

I turned my head to meet his kind eyes, "In truth I know not, dear Uncle."

He wrapped his hand around mine and gave it reassuring squeeze. We then turned a corner and walked a flight of stairs to the second story. The Duke and Duchess gave mention about the second and third story, but it was not included our guided tour. I almost felt as if I should not be up here at all.

We all shuffled to a stop in front of a white, four paneled door. I was sure the lustered, golden knob once shined brighter than the sun at one point.

"Now the doctor diagnosed him with acute amnesia as I mentioned in my letter," Her Grace lowered her voice. " Not all of his memory is totally lost, only his most recent ones are more at stake. It could take approximately six to nine months to regain."

All of us stood gathered around her, hanging on to every word.

"I suggest that the three girls go in first. I do not wish for him to be overwhelmed by our crowd," She switched her gaze between my cousins and I. But her wise green eyes lingered on mine. It was like she knew what was at stake. Like she could hear the rattle of my heart against my ribs.

"Let us go," Astrid whispered as walked ahead of us and turned the door knob. Alaina, Abigail and I followed in behind her. There Christopher sat in the middle of his bed, with a white bandage wrapped around his forehead. His eyes were closed and I zeroed in on the rise and fall of his chest.

I was immensely grateful for that. No matter what happens, I had to remind myself. At least he is alive. Remember that, Della.

We stopped at the foot of us bed, unsure if we should wake him from his slumber.

Alaina cleared her throat in an obnoxious manner and his eyes flew open.

"Alaina!" Astrid scolded, while Abigail covered her mouth to stifle her giggle.

For the next few moments, Christopher studied our faces with furrowed brows. I stepped forward and walked around to the side of his bed. For the first time in my life, I didn't care that I had three pairs of eyes scorching holes into my back.

Christopher watched me carefully as I neared him. I perched on the side of his bed and slowly slid my hand into his, hoping it would spark the slightest memory.

"Hello darling. It is me, Della. Della Andrews," I whispered. He knitted his brows together with his eyes fixed on our hands. Then he looked back at me. The usual green specks I loved, no longer danced in his eyes.

"I-I am sorry Miss," He gently retracted his hand from mine.

I clamped my eyes shut and bowed my head, a surge of inevitable tears pricking my eyes. I stood up from the bed and took several paces backward. A hand over my mouth to hinder a loud sob.

"What about me Chrissy!" Astrid rushed to the bed with worry.

"Chrissy," He repeated to himself with a concentrated stare.

"You know us Chrissy," Abigail and Alaina gathered around him, "It's me, Abigail."

"And me Alaina - the one with more wit."

Abigail and Astrid simultaneously turned their heads and gave her an icy glare.

"You have to remember us. We grew up together together," Astrid stroked his arm.

"Astrid," He said in realization, "You are Astrid!"

"Yes!" She jumped up with glee.

"Abigail and Alaina!" He looked at them with a newfound excitement. Abigail squealed while Alaina clapped her hands with joy.

"Look at the three of you," He smiled radiantly, "My girls!"

I stood in the background as the groundbreaking moment unfolded. The room became distorted through my teary eyes. I held my hand tighter over my mouth while my other hand gripped my skirts. I couldn't watch anymore it.

I turned on my heels and ran out of the room.

__________________________________

A/N - how many had hope he would remember?
😭😭

votes/comments are much appreciated!
go read some more 😉

~ kya v.h