❀ Chapter 12

I AM in love with Christopher Arlington. I wanted to question why I had not realized all this time. But Kitty had been right. I buried my feelings for him so deep that I completely blocked it out of my mind. When I was writing my love letter, I allowed for my mind to be open.

And when it did, the truth I wanted to deny, to ignore - spilled into the letter. I am in love with someone who could never be mine. What was I supposed to do now?

I had unlocked feelings that were now impossible to bury.

"Oh please tell me what to do," I whispered as I stroked Midnight's silk.

"Ms. Andrews, Lady Stratford and the Duchess of Brent would like for you to join them for tea," Mr. Simon notified.

"Very well," I released a sharp breath, "Thank you Mr. Simon. I know it is not a short walk from here to the estate for a few words."

"Ah I am not prodded by the fresh air," He shook his head with a smile. I followed behind him, and when we entered back into the estate, he took care of my outer garments.

I smoothed down my hair for any rebellious strands and walked into the Drawing Room. Lady Stratford sat on one sofa, while the Duchess took the other. She gave me a warm smile and patted the seat next to her.

"Glad that you could join us, dear."

"Thank you for inviting me your Grace," I bowed my head in appreciation. But I wondered why she extended the invitation in the first place. The maid quietly poured our tea, and brought in a tray of fresh scones.

"Thank you," I smiled as she set the silver tray down.

"Bring some more sugar cubes at once," Lady Stratford commanded icily.

"Yes my lady," She answered and scurried out of the room.

"Well as you know we will be leaving tomorrow morning," the Duchess said.

"Oh but you will stay for breakfast, yes?" Lady Stratford asked.

"Of course," She smiled widely, "But I just wanted to tell you how much of a pleasure it has been staying here. And an even more pleasure to make your acquaintance, Della."

"I assure you the pleasure is all mine your Grace. You have been so kind to from the very beginning," I answered earnestly.

"You have a beautiful voice."

"W-what?" My heart flew down into my stomach, and a lump formed in my throat.

"I heard you playing the piano and sing lovely little tune," She laid her hand atop of mine, "It was remarkable."

The only time I have ever sang aloud in this estate, was with Christopher. She must of been lurking in the background while we were distracted.

"I can't imagine that," Lady Stratford said with a flat tone. She focused her intimidating gaze one me, to which I was certain she could see my deepest secret.

Oh no please do not tell her! I mentally screamed that sentence over and over, as if the Duchess would be able to hear the desperate plea.

She placed a hand over her chest with an apologetic expression, "Clara dear I apologize. I just heard a voice one day, and I couldn't stop listening."

"I did not know someone other than Astrid had singing talent. Perhaps you can sing us that tune after dinner," Lady Stratford stirred her tea with a challenging stare.

"My lady I assure you Astrid has much more talent than I," I attempted to deflect the nerve wrecking situation.

"She does have quite a voice," Lady Stratford nodded in agreement, "Plays very well on the piano too."