❀ Chapter 16

I QUIETLY munched on my flavorful broccoli as the family engaged in jovial conversation. The Arlingtons invited us over for dinner, in graciousness to the Earl and Countess for opening Moonriver Manor.

The town was a nice change of atmosphere. Incessant chatter and activity could be heard at times, but I didn't mind it at all. I enjoyed being in a place Christopher spent some of his childhood years.

Her Grace even showed us various pieces of furniture where young Christopher would carve his initials. It was like discovering another part of him.

A few days have passed since he and I revealed our hearts. The effortless manner in which he said he loved me, and kissed my lips endearingly, would not leave my mind. The fluttery feeling I gained in my stomach was a force so great, it could propel me to fly.

But I tried my very best to bottle my immense happiness around the family, especially Astrid. In his company, we had to keep things at a normalcy. But in truth, it was a task to bare. The ghost of his touch still tingled my skin.

Now I had an even heavier secret to hold - not only was I in love with my cousin's suitor, but he was surely in love with me too! It is only a fraction of time before it is unveiled.

I had to tell Kitty, since within the walls of my bedchamber I could no longer contain my spontaneous smiles. Little Kitty had been right all along. A part of me is gripped with apprehension when I think about Astrid's reaction to the truth.

But the minuscule - yet brave, part of me ached for her to know. It would not be fair to her to marry a man who longed to be with someone else. My cousin deserved to be with a man who wished to give all of his affections.

"Is the food that delightful you won't say a word, Della?" Lady Stratford pulled me into reality. In no time, there were multiple pairs of eyes focussed in on me.

I feared if their eyes stayed on me any longer, they would be able to know my secret.

"Yes actually," I nodded, attempting to lighten her tense stare. Christopher lightly chuckled, and everyone broke into smiles. However Lady Stratford kept her icy stare.

"We must continue to expand your unexperienced palette, little cousin," said a giddy Astrid.

"Indeed," I smiled tight. I realized I would miss seeing her beam a smile the sun itself could be envious of. I would never see it again after she gains knowledge of the truth.

Christopher cleared his throat and opened his mouth to speak. Everyone gave their attention, however none of his words hit the air. I could see the contemplation taking place in his mind.

"Did you want to say something, my dear?" Astrid inquired with innocence.

He was hesitant to answer, " . . . Yes may I speak with you in solitude?"

Her wide smile made my heart pound against my chest, "Of course!"

"Excuse us," He gave a nod to their Graces.

Abigail and Lady Stratford watched the two excuse themselves with wide grins. Perhaps they thought she was finally being proposed to! Suddenly the little appetite I had left, vanished. I laid a hand over my stomach.

It was time.

I attempted not to show any sort of sick emotion - even though the feeling poisoned my stomach rapidly. But hadn't I wanted this to happen? After all, Christoper would be telling Astrid that he has affections for me.

He wished to be with me. He fell in love with me. What did I do to deserve such a handsome, amiable man?

I muttered a shaky thank you to the scullery maid as she took my plate away. I felt terrible I could not fully enjoy the meal her Grace planned for us.