❀ Chapter 8

THE next morning, I sat at my vanity and watched Kitty weave my hair into a single braid. Learning how to ride with Uncle George yesterday was so delightful. As the horses strolled around the Manor, we conversed about an array of subjects.

He even told me a few stories of his beginning with Lady Stratford and how she came to be. I appreciated his lighthearted spirit, opposed to Lady Stratford's rigidness.

"I am pleased to hear that your riding lesson with Lord Arlington and Lady Astrid went well," Kitty commented. I had told her a brief story last night, but I didn't dive into any detail.

"Oh. Well actually, Astrid thought it would be a better idea if Uncle George taught me. Her and Lord Arlington rode by themselves. Abigail was their chaperone."

Kitty's fingers froze, "You mean Lady Astrid changed the plans?"

I shrugged a shoulder, "I didn't mind it."

"I envy your patience for her intolerable antics," She continued to braid.

"Oh Kitty," I laughed pleasantly, "I cannot be prodded over her wanting to spend time with Lord Arlington."

"I used to be Lady Astrid's maid, and it was not a pleasure to say the least. She spoke to me like I was dirt," She spoke with such an unknown fiery passion, "Because of my freckles. I just know it. Why did I have to be cursed with such ugly spots!"

I got up from the vanity, facing her with a sorrowful expression, "I am so sorry."

"Thank you," She smiled with a tight lip.

"But if you ask me . . . I like your freckles," I whispered. Kitty immediately hugged me. True, having freckles was not something to be prideful about. But strangely, I have always had a fondness for them.

I pulled out of our embrace, "You think you are cursed with those freckles. While I presume myself to be cursed with a single dot on my cheek!"

"I assure you that is no matter," She giggled.

"Well. I shall not be late for breakfast. I do not want another scolding from the Ladyship," I smiled and headed out of my chambers, down to the dining room. The scullery maid was setting the breakfast food on the table.

Uncle George was sat at the head of table, engrossed in a newspaper.

"Good morning Uncle!" I chirped.

"Morning dear," He sipped his glass of ale.

I sat down in my usual seat and soon everyone joined entered the room, exchanging greetings. I helped myself to pouring a cup of chocolate. Kitty had bought me some earlier this morning. I took a sip and closed my eyes, letting the rich, warm liquid glide down my throat.

When I opened my eyes, I was met with Lord Arlington's. He wore an amused smile and chuckled quietly. I averted my gaze down to my plate, why was he always laughing at me!

I knew that my cheeks were flushed with an embarrassing shade of red.

"Is there something funny dear?" the Duchess inquired.

Good heavens, no.

Astrid giggled, "It must be something from yesterday when we went riding, your Grace. We shared much banter."

Lord Arlington cleared his throat and put on a smile, "Yes we did darling."

"Just like the olden times," Lady Stratford commented gingerly.

"He would always beat me in racing," Astrid reminisced.

"And that still holds true to this very day," Lord Arlington chuckled. I was thankful that Astrid's assumption saved me from absolute mortification.