❀ Chapter 4

SONOROUS shouting startled me during my little exploration of the corridors. Over the past few days I've been meandering around Moonriver, taking in every well thought out detail. I realized I needed a self tour, free from mentions of Lord Arlington and the incessant banter of my cousins.

The shouting came from one of the bed chambers. I immediately identified the voices of Astrid and Alaina, so I quieted my steps and followed the noise.

"I will tell you once more - I did not take them!"

"You little thieve," Astrid seethed, "I have been looking high and low for them when you had them all along!"

"Leave my chambers this instant!"

"It is very well you do not wish to marry. No proper gentlemen in their right mindset would want a thief or a liar. Do not touch my things," Astrid stormed out of Alaina's bed chamber with a pair of shoes dangling from her fingers.

I quickly hid myself behind the wall and heard two harsh door slams. I waited a few moments before walking toward Alaina's door.

I knocked lightly, "Alaina?"

I heard nothing but a sniffle and decided to open the door. There she sat, atop of her bed with her face buried in hands.

"May I enter?" I asked softly.

She picked up her head and forged a smile, "Sure."

She quickly swiped a tear away and regained herself when I sat beside her.

"Are you ok?" I asked sincerely.

"I'm always ok," She nodded with a tight lipped smile, "And Astrid is always this intolerable. It's inherited by our mother."

I hummed a laugh and a few moments of silence passed us.

"Well I must say that I admire you. It is so clear how different you stand from your sisters . . . I love that, and don't think you should be ridiculed for not wanting to marry," I spoke honestly.

She looked at me with joy dancing in her eyes, "Really?"

I reached over and placed my hand atop of hers, "Of course, dear cousin."

"My wish is to travel the globe and experience culture. But Mamma would never permit me."

I squeezed her hand assuringly.

"And I'm afraid things here will only grow worse," She sighed.

"How so?" I frowned.

"The Arlingtons are arriving tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" My eyes widened.

"Yes," She nodded, "They will be our guests for two weeks time."

Two weeks of residing in the same house as the well thought of Lord Arlington. What would he be like? How would be with Astrid? A part of me was wrecked with nerves, while the other part held excitement to see how their story would unfold before my eyes.

"Perhaps we should go to the town," I proposed, "I think we both need to clear our minds for a bit. Plus . . . I have never shopped in London."

"Splendid!"  

• ~ •

I bit into the pastry and warm, cherry filling oozed into my mouth.

The bustling Soho Bazaar was overwhelmed with a slew of vendors, selling everything from small trinkets to handwoven baskets. Alaina suggested that we change into something more fitting for our little outing.

I wore a coral pelisse while she wore a forest green one, that complimented her skin quite well. Every shopper seemed to be wearing their best ensemble. It still felt foreign to be mixed in with the upper crust of London.

"I don't think I have ever had anything in my mouth so divine," I continued to indulge in my pastry.

Alaina giggled, "I would acquire another, but Papa would be quite irritated with bank notes full of pastry expenses."

"I suppose," I feigned disappointment, then broke into a smile.

We decided to stop at a Perfumer, with an array of various little bottles neatly arranged on the table. The woman behind the counter gave us a welcoming smile.

"Hello," I greeted her giddily.

"Have a whiff," Alaina raised an open, sphere bottle to my nose.

A sweet, light scent floated up my nostrils, "Dear lord that it is heaven in a bottle!"

"Isn't it!" Alaina agreed. She placed it back in it's place and we ambled over to the next seller, where an assortment of twinkling jewelry lay.

"If your mother permitted you, where would you venture to first?" I asked.

"Italy," She immediately answered, sliding one of the rings on her finger, "The language has always held my fascination."

"And where else?" I dug deeper.

"In truth, I have not given it any more thought. But I suppose somewhere in Europe."

"Maybe one day your mother will change her mind," It sounded much more unrealistic soon as the words left my mouth.

"Yes after I'm stone cold in my grave," She nodded and we laughed in unison.

"But we must get home now," Alaina contained herself.

I nodded and we began to make our way out of the Bazaar. When we got outside, I smiled to myself looking upon the many people walking about.

"I can't believe I am in Soho," I laughed incredulously, raising my gaze to the tall, stoned buildings.

"Is it still strange for you? Residing in a completely different place?"

"I don't think the feeling will ever leave. At home, I never shopped for luxuries."

"Neither do I actually. Only the Pastry and Book shops hold my intrigue," She shrugged a shoulder and I broke into a laugh. I felt so much more at ease.

It was like I could finally breathe, and I didn't want it to come to an end.

_________________________

A/N - so that's what shopping was like back then! [ I hope 💀😂😂😭]

Alaina is definitely my favorite sister to write about lol.

Stay tuned for next chapter! A certain someone will be making his appearance 👀.

Votes/Comments are much appreciated! x

~ kya h.