The Wedding Hater (Niall - One Shot)

I just had this idea stuck in my head today whilst I was reading a chapter of one of the many fanfics I read... I thought you might want to read it. It's silly so don't expect much. It came at me like a flash and I had to write it or it was going to haunt me.

Bel, xx

-:-:-:-

The Wedding Hater
A Niall Horan one-shot

I hate weddings. Sue me! Not because I’m a girl it means I have to love weddings and dream about ‘my special day’. That’s bullshit. I don’t dream with walking down the isle in a white princess-like dress, or with a whole crowd there to see how stupid I am to get married, or with a boy waiting for me with puppy eyes. Thanks, but no. I hate weddings with a burning passion, the whole planning and the cheesiness it comes with weddings makes me want to puke. Yes, at that level.

Don’t look at me like that; I’m just being honest here.

I just think that weddings are stupid and unnecessary. Why would you need to swear in front of a massive audience that you will love a person for the rest of your life? If you truly love a person, you don’t need that. Plus, nowadays people take marriage as something futile. They get married, then two weeks later they get divorce. Don’t tell me about the sanctity of marriage.

Nevertheless, people still want to get married and I can’t get that. Like my older sister. She’s driving me crazy with this whole wedding and I’m about to push her down the stairs. I don’t understand why she is doing this and, moreover, why she is dragging me in with her. It’s like ‘If I fall, you fall with me,’ but I have nothing to do with this. It’s unfair!

“Mandy, help me!” She cries out for like the billionth time this day. Does anyone have a gun with which I can shoot myself? No? Damn it!

“Coming,” I told her walking in her direction counting till ten just to keep me sane. This is the last day, after this afternoon everything would be over and I won’t have to deal with a wedding again.

“Where’s mum’s necklace? I need that necklace! It’s borrowed and blue!” She demands and I roll my eyes. Stupid wedding traditions. Why can’t she get the TARDIS and get this done? But thinking about that, I would take that time traveling machine to leave this place as the new Doctor Companion. Yes, that would be lovely.

“Lemme check,” I tell her to please her. After all, that’s what bride’s maids do, right? “I still don’t get why you made me your bride’s made. I bet Lucy would be better at this,” I tell her offhandedly whilst looking for mum’s necklace. Where the hell did she put that thing?

“Because you’re my sister and one of my best friends. Plus, this will help you to get over your silly wee problem with weddings,” she replies and I jerk away.

“It’s not a silly wee problem!” I snap fiercely. “I. Hate. Weddings. You’re doing this to make me pay for that time I burned Sally, aren’t you?” I accuse her and Claire just rolls her eyes.

“Don’t be silly, I forgot about that time you burned my doll. I just want you with me today, it’s a special day for me. Why can’t you get that? Maybe you haven’t dreamt of this your whole life, but I’ve had, and I want you next to me because I love you.”

I snort giving up. It’s important for her, even if I can’t understand why, and she’s my sister, I love her. I can do this for her. Plus, she has allowed me to pick the colour of the bride’s maids’ dresses so I wouldn’t feel even more uncomfortable. Yes, the dresses are of this dark red colour, like blood. It looks amazing in contrast with her white dress, which has a few little roses in the hem of the same colour.

“I found it!” I exclaim as I finally get in my hands the beautiful necklace. I walk towards my sister and help her to put it on and then we both look at her in the mirror. She looks stunning. Weddings are stupid and a waste of money, but damn she looks beautiful. Chris is such a lucky man for having my sister, yet he still is an idiot for doing this.

* * *

It’s almost over. I can do it. Just the reception and soon Claire and Chris are going to leave to their honeymoon and I’ll be free.

Hooray!

The place is packed and it seems like everyone is having a great time. My sister looks truly happy and I guess that’s something good about weddings after all. The couple always looks deliriously happy. It’s good to see Claire smiling like that, laughing at everything. It makes worth it all the stress she had to go through whilst planning all this. Still, I will never do something like this and most certainly I will never help anyone to plan her wedding. If one of my friends decides to get married, I will just leave the country.

Another good thing about weddings: food. Claire got this incredible and ever so tempting chocolate fountain and I’m going to be next to it all what is left of this party. Oh yes, come to me, you delicious chocolate.

I’m about to grab a strawberry to cover it with chocolate but a boy’s hand is faster picking up the fruit first. And it is the biggest strawberry, I want it! I look at my right to see a blond boy there dipping the fruit into the chocolate before eating it, not even taking notice of me there with my mouth hanging open in sheer disbelief.

He smiles pleased with himself but I’m still there, looking at him. For some reason, he notices me and gives me a smile, but it’s not an ‘I’m sorry’ kind of smile, it’s just a simple, mundane smile. How dares him? That was my strawberry.

And, apparently, I’m losing it. I’m mentally arguing and ready to start a fight over a fruit. Weddings are not healthy, mate.

“Oh, did you want it?” He asks with an innocent look and my urge to snap at him disappears when his piercing blue eyes meet mine.

Oh my…

“There are more,” I reply like a real idiot, lost in his eyes. He smiles again and he looks so cute when he does that. I’m wondering who he is.

“I’m Niall, by the way. Nice to meet you,” he says and I kind of feel this tingling in the pit of my stomach.

“Amanda,” I reply holding my hand out for him to shake it.

“Nice wedding, uh?” He comments.

“I dunno, I hate weddings. I’m here because it’s my sister’s but I rather be anywhere else,” I say honestly and that surprises him, I can see it in his beautiful eyes.

“But you’re a bride’s maid,” he points out.

“As I told you, she’s my sister.” I shrug and he laughs. He has this contagious and adorable laugh that makes me want to laugh too. “You’re here for Chris then? I’d know you from before if you were somehow connected to Claire.” I notice and he nods, still with that cute smile of him.

And then it comes the awkward silence.

I don’t know what to say but I want to keep talking to him and he seems like he wants to stay there too, but he says nothing either. Maybe I should walk away…

“Wanna dance?” He asks me out of the blue, surprising me this time. I look at him with big eyes and the yes trapped in my mouth, so I just nod. He smiles brightly before taking my hand, but we don’t take a step farther when he stops. “Wait a second,” he says letting go of my hand and turning on his heels.

I don’t understand what he’s doing until he comes back with a plate with strawberries covered in chocolate. My smile grows bigger and this tingling in my stomach gets more intense. “For you,” he says with a perfect smile as he hands me the plate with the fruits.

“Thank you very much,” I say still smiling.

I guess there’s another good thing about weddings: you get to know interesting people.