Chapter 3: Dust and Shadows

ELEANORA'S POV
  I tune everyone out, as usual. I listen, but I don't process. That is, until Will says demon pox.

  "Will, there's no such thing as demon pox, and you know it," Charlotte says. "Now, where was I?"

  "I believe in demon pox," I say, almost absentmindedly.

  Will looks at me, shock on his face.

  I shrug. "What? I believe in it."

  Tessa ignores this, saying, "being a vampire is a curse. It's a disease. But they still can't enter hallowed ground, then? Does that mean they're damned?"

  "That depends on what you believe," says Jem. "And whether you even believe in damnation at all."

  "But you hunt demons. You must believe in damnation!" Tessa protests.

  "I believe in good and evil. And I believe the soul is eternal. But I don't believe in the fiery pit, the pitchforks, or endless torment. I do not believe you can threaten people into goodness."

  Tessa looks at Will and I. "And what about you two? What do you believe?"

  "Pulvis et umbra sumus," I say, and it takes a moment for me to register than Will had said the exact same thing.

  I look at him, masking my shock and pretending to be amused. Will looks shocked. His eyes narrow on me.

  "I believe we're dust and shadows," I say, turning back to face Tessa. "There's nothing else to it."

  "Whatever you believe, please don't suggest to Lady Belcourt that you think she's damned," says Charlotte. She had come to a halt where the corridor ended in a set of high iron doors, each carved with a symbol that looked like two pairs of back-to-back Cs. She turns and looks at us. "She has very kindly offered to help us, and there's no purpose in offering her such insults. That applies to you especially, Will. If you can't be polite, I'll send you out of the Sanctuary. Jem, I trust you to be your charming self. Tessa. . ." Charlotte turns her grave, kind eyes on Tessa. "Try not to be frightened."

  She seems to have forgotten about me, but then again, I have that affect on people. I simply hide in the shadows.

  Charlotte pulls out an iron key from her pocket and unlocks the door. We all step inside, and I don't bother looking around the room.

  My eyes simply fasten on Camille.

  "Douse your witchlight, Will," Charlotte says under her breath, before hurrying forward to greet her. "So good of you to wait for us, Baroness. I trust you have found the Sanctuary comfortable enough for your tastes?"

  "As always, Charlotte." Camille sounds bored.

  "Lady Belcourt. Please let me introduce you to Miss Theresa Gray." Charlotte indicates Tessa, who inclines her head politely. "Beside her is Mr. James Carstairs, one of our young Shadowhunters, and with him is—"

  "Will Herondale. And, oh my, Charlotte. You didn't tell me that dear Ella here was with you," Camille says, addressing me like a Friend would.

  I smirk. "Caught you by surprise, Camille? Surely you must know what happened to my Mother."

  Pain stabs me in the chest.

  "It truly was a pity, dear. Why didn't you come to my house? I certainly would have provided hospitality for you," Camille says.

  I shrug. "I was busy hunting down the sisters."

  "Pardon me," Charlotte interrupts. "But you two know each other?"

  Camille smiles a catlike smile. "Oh. Oh I see. Dear Eleanora, you haven't told your Shadowhunter friends of your involvement."

  I scoff. "Of course not. How do you know Will?"

  "William won twenty pounds from me at faro," Camille says calmly, eyes lingering on Will. I'm fairly sure that he's used to that. "A few weeks ago, in a Downworld gambling house run by the Pandemonium Club."

  Camille throws me a sly smile.

  I was there.

  "He did?" Charlotte looks at Will, who shrugs.

"It was part of the investigation. I was disguised as a foolish mundane who had come to the place to partake in vice," explains Will. "It would have aroused suspicion had I refused to gamble."

  Charlotte sets her chin. "Nevertheless, Will, that money you won was evidence. You should have given it to the Clave."

  "I spent it on gin."

  "Will."

  Will shrugs. "The spoils of vice are a burdensome responsibility."

  "Yet one you seem strangely able to bear," observes Jem, with an amused flash of his silvery eyes.

  Charlotte throws up her hands. "I will deal with you later, William. Lady Belcourt, am I to understand that you also are a member of the Pandemonium Club?"

I tune out from then. I already know everything Camille wishes to say.

"Eleanora, did you hear what I said?" Charlotte asks, blinking at me.

I frown. "No. Sorry. What was that?"

"Lady Belcourt stated that it would be wise to send you with Tessa to de Quincey's party," Charlotte says, eyes narrowing on me. "I was asking if you would mind."

I look towards Jem, who's already watching me.

"You're sending Tessa to de Quincey's party?" I ask, intrigued. "Oh. Oh I see. Very smart, Camille. May I ask, though, will you be sending us a. . . guide?"

Camille smiles. "Magnus Bane is all yours."

I grin. "Wonderful."

"You want to send two ladies to de Quincey's party? With a warlock?" Will exclaims. "Ridiculous. I shall follow them."

I scowl at him. "No. I can well defend myself and Tessa."

"I insist," Will says.

"Please, Ella," Jem speaks up. "Let Will go. I know you can defend each other, but an extra man always helps."

"Besides, I'm charming enough to pass off as a subjugate," Will winks at Tessa and I.

I roll my eyes. "Only if you insist, Jem."

"I would need something of yours, Lady Belcourt," Tessa says mildly. "A ring or a necklace..."

"Here," Camille unclasps a necklace from her neck and stretches it out in Tessa's direction.

Jem reaches out and takes in before Tessa can. He carefully places the necklace in Tessa's palm.

Camille stands elegantly and motions me forward.

"De Quincey won't be shocked to see you, though he may. . . expose your little secret," Camille whispers.

I glance at the other Shadowhunters.

"If anything, I'll give them the information they need. All I want is revenge," I hiss.

Will is watching us. He dark blue eyes unnerve me.

"Indeed. Revenge you will get," Camille says, a glint to her green eyes.