Epilogue (Part 1)

London, November 1879
ELEANORA'S POV
Cheers erupt as I bring my lips to Will's. He kisses me gently, and I feel such joy now. I remember how nervous I was, waiting for the doors to open. Gabriel had laughed at me, saying that I had nothing to worry about.

He walked me down the isle, to Will, who looked more handsome tonight than he had ever looked in his gold dressing.

My own dress—the most elaborate I have ever worn—is gold.

Will reluctantly draws away from me, resting his head against my forehead, grinning.

I smile. "I love you," I whisper, so only he can hear me.

"I love you," Will replies.

~

The wedding dinner is a more private event. There are the occupants of the Institute, Caspian, Violet and Jamie, along with Magnus Bane and Woolsey Scott. In the corner stands a certain Silent Brother, hidden, but there, nonetheless.

Will sits beside me, more happy than I've ever seen him. I myself am beaming.

Love is a tragically beautiful thing.

  After dinner, I play with Charlotte's baby, Charles. He is almost one year old.

  Caspian comes up to me. In his hands he holds something. A box, I realise.

  "A wedding gift, I suppose," He says, smiling slightly. "It was a terrible time, but it was a time of great love." He hands me the box, and I carefully open it up.

  Inside is a necklace. Attached to the silver chain is a ring. Something familiar.

  I suck in a breath, looking up at Caspian.

  "A binding ring," I whisper.

  Caspian nods. "I'll come when you need me. I'm always going to be here for you, Ella. I know I haven't been around, but I decided to move back to London. We'll be staying at a house near Mum's old one. I promised you I wouldn't leave you, remember?"

  I fight back tears, pulling out the necklace. As I do, the silver Herondale ring winks at me. I put on the necklace, then smile at Caspian, as he puts on an identical one.

  "This doesn't take away my life source, does it?" I joke.

  Caspian laughs, shaking his head. "No."

  Magnus comes up to us. He is grinning, catlike eyes trained on me.

  "Do you mind if I borrow Ella for a moment?" He says.

  Caspian shakes his head as Violet appears. "Not at all. I'll talk to you some more later, Ella."

  He leaves with Violet and Magnus gives me a brief hug.

  "I am sorry that I left," Magnus said. "But did you know how different New York is from London? No greyness at all."

  I raise an eyebrow. "So that is why you left? So there'd be no greyness in your life anymore?"

  Magnus scrunches up his face. "You are starting to sound like Will."

  "Must you go back after this?" I ask wistfully. "I would be dreadfully sorry to see you leave."

  Magnus smiles sadly. "My life is immortal. You won't be able to understand. I need to seek adventure and excitement."

  "And the greyness of London isn't enough for that?" I ask bitterly.

  Magnus laughs. "You understand, don't you, Ella?"

  I shake my head. "How can I not? I will just miss you so so much, Magnus."

  Magnus nods. Then he smiles at something behind me. "Your husband wishes to speak to you, Eleanora Herondale."

I laugh, and feel Will's arms circle around me. I lean back and feel his hard chest behind me. I feel his chest vibrate as he laughs lightly.

"Eleanora Herondale," He says. "I very much like that name."

I smile, shutting my eyes briefly.

"You look beautiful," Will leans down and whispers into my ear.

I laugh. "You're not bad yourself, Herondale."

Will laughs. "Can I take you to someplace?"

I nod, wishing to be alone with him.

Will takes my hand, leading me out of the dining room discreetly. He leads me out of the Institute and then covers my eyes.

"You are not trying to murder me, are you, Liam?" I ask innocently.

"Of course not," Will says. "There are a lot of men staring at you, Ella."

"I am in a gold wedding dress, Liam," I say, and I would roll my eyes if I could.

Will laughs. "We're going to reach soon."

He finally stops and lifts his hands off my eyes. It's the place we first met. That brothel place that Tessa was captured in.

"Do you remember this place?" Will asks.

I nod silently.

Will smiles down at me, then takes my hand. He then leads me to a bridge not far away. The bridge he took me to the last time, the night after our first kiss.

"I love this place," I finally say.

Will lifts my hand and lightly kisses my fingers. I see the birds on the Herondale ring as he does. Will's thumb skims over it.

I turn and look out and see the sky meet the sea, and I think of my Mother. I think of my Father. I think of Jem.

  "Maybe you can be my Friend."