Chapter 66: The Worrying Process

ELEANORA'S POV
I don't feel tired. I stay up the whole day keeping watch, and when the others wake up, they seem reenergised.

Caspian, of course, is furious.

"I told you to wake me up," He says, fuming.

I slot my sharpened knives into my belt. "Taylor, do you know who we are?"

"Shadowhunters," Taylor says. "My parents were Shadowhunters too. But they left."

I blink, then say, "have you gotten your first runes yet?"

Taylor shakes his head. "Not yet."

I nod slowly. "Taylor you're going to have to listen very carefully, okay? I need you to ride Xanthos back to the London Institute."

"All the way back?" Taylor asks with wide eyes.

I smile thinly at him. "Actually, I have a better plan. I need you to meet someone for me. Get to the border of this town and wait for Woolsey Scott. He'll help you get back, okay?"

Taylor frowns but nods. "Okay."

I sigh in relief. "You just need to wait at the London Institute for me. Is that alright? I'll make it back, okay?"

Taylor nods solemnly. "I know you will."

~

"What did Charlotte say?" Caspian asks me.

I run a hand through my hair. "They have found a way to somehow make a portal that will take them directly to Cadair Idris. We need to make sure their way out is clear."

"When will they be reaching?" Violet asks.

"Tomorrow," I answer immediately. "Once I'm sure they're in, we attack. We want to create a diversion and draw them away."

"Why can't we attack earlier?" Jamie frowns.

I sigh exasperatedly. "Do I have to explain everything? It is because if we attack earlier, Mortmain will get Tessa and Will out. We know for sure that they couldn't have left yet. We would know. We just have to hope that they are alive and that they would stay that way."

Violet nods. "Alright then. I'll go get the weapons all ready."

Before my idiot Brother can step up to help, I cut in. "I'll go with you."

Violet looks slightly alarmed by that, but nods nonetheless. I follow her to a separate room where we kept all our weapons in a heap at the corner before they went to rest.

I shut the door behind me, calmly leaning back against it.

"I think my Brother is interested in you," Violet starts, going over to the weapons and lifting a bunch of seraph blades and laying them on to the table.

I scowl. "Is that so? I was about to say the same thing about my own."

Violet blushes. I don't like people who blush easily.

I shrug. "Either way. You can tell your Brother he has no hope."

Violet smiles. "He's a nice person. You will definitely like him."

I decide not to tell her because I don't want her pity. And I can tell this girl would be full of it.

"Are you just going to stand there?" Violet asks.

"I am here for medical assistance only," I say bluntly. I think Will is rubbing off on me.

"Medical assistance?" Violet repeats.

I nod vigorously. "Yes indeed. I'm just waiting. Go on, please. The weapons won't move themselves."

I can see her grit her teeth in annoyance and I almost smirk.

And then comes the oh so dreadful moment.

"Ow!"

"Cut yourself, didn't you?" I say, my tone slightly smug.

Violet glares at me. "What happened to the whole assistance thing?"

I nod. "Yes. Well Caspian must've heard you. He'll be running in any second now." I take a step to the left just as the door swings open. Of course, it is Caspian.

"Violet? Are you alright?" He asks, eyes not even landing on me.

I quietly slip out of the room. I won't have anymore of this. While Violet had her back turned on me, I sneaked several weapons into my weapons belt and I'm loaded with them now. Since I know that Jamie is thinking of a way to get to Cadair Idris, I know that the way out of the house is clear.

I don't hesitate. I reach the door and shove it open, then run off, away from the house.

~

Dearest Eleanora,
I share your concern. I am afraid that your Brother and his newfound friends would only bear us down. They will focus on your father and will delay our rescue of Tessa and Will. Please understand that our priority is stopping Mortmain, not your Father.

Though said, you still have to find a way to clear our path. Magnus and Henry have created some sort of portal that can lead us directly into Cadair Idris. Our only problem will be getting out undetected with all the Downworlders that your Father has hired.

I fully trust that you will think of a way to clear our path. The portal will be completed by sunrise tomorrow. We will be at Cadair Idris by midday. May all go well.

With greatest regards,
Charlotte

I reread the letter sent by her, squeezing my eyes shut. May all go well.

Leaving Caspian was the only way. His Shadowhunter friends are too slow. They will only hold me back. They don't understand how deadly this Mission is.

I start towards Cadair Idris.

Eliminate the King and his followers will fall.