Chapter 55: Jessie's Return

ELEANORA'S POV
  I leave Will to change into gear, then hurry down to the Institute's steps. Will probably left to get Cyril.

"Another carriage?" Charlotte says, as I move to stand next to Tessa.

  I follow her gaze and see a second carriage, all black with no crest, rolling silently in behind the first.

  "An escort," Gabriel says. "Perhaps the Silent Brothers are worried she will try to escape."

  "No," Charlotte says, bewilderment shading her voice. "She wouldn't—"

  The Silent Brother driving the first carriage puts away his reins and dismounts, moving to the carriage door. At that moment the second carriage pulls up behind him, and he turns. Though I can't see his expression, as his face is hidden by his hood, I know immediately that something in the cast of his body betokens surprise.

  I pull out my chakrams.

  The driver of the second carriage leaps down from his seat, landing with a jarring thud, and pulls the robes away.

  Beneath is a shimmering metal body with an ovoid head, eyeless, copper rivets holding together the joints of elbows, knees, and shoulders. Its right arm, if you could call it that, ends in a crude bronze crossbow. It raises that arm now and flexes it. A steel arrow, fletched with black metal, flies through the air and punches into the chest of the first Silent Brother, lifting him off his feet and sending him flying several feet across the courtyard, before he strikes the earth, blood soaking the chest of the familiar robes.

  My eyes widen and I let the chakram fly. Henry is suddenly running down the steps, as I keep away my chakrams, going to the first carriage.

  I pull out my whip instead, and jump off the stairs, onto the ground. From the corner of my eye, I notice Jem and Charlotte, both having drawn their respective weapons. Jem.

  My eyes latch onto an automaton charging at Jessie and Henry.

  With a flick of my wrist, the rope curls around the automaton's leg. I pull back hard, and the automaton falls face down, then I throw myself forward, pulling out my seraph blade mid flight, and bring it down into the automaton. I slash at it until it is in pieces.

  I dash over to help Jem, who is swinging his cane, stabbing one automaton.

  My whip uncurls and wraps around the automaton's neck. I pull back, hard, and the head tumbles off.

  Jem gives me a nod of thanks, and then suddenly we are both back to back. An old method of defence we have already mastered.

A creature suddenly attacks at my undefended side, and I feel blood. How am I always getting injured?!?

I growl in annoyance and dodge the next attack coming from that same creature. I thrust my seraph blade into its middle, then roughly pull it out.

"Would you just die already?" I hiss, as it lashes out at me again.

I drop to the ground, rolling once and quickly standing. I use my seraph blade to block its next attack, then kick the automaton towards Jem, who, with one sweeping arc, decapitates the automaton.

I grin at him. My grin is wild, and I feel so jumpy from the thrill of battle. I dart toward the next automaton.

  This one dives down and grabs my ankle. I'm so surprised that it can actually dive that I don't react in time. The automaton pulls and I fall backward, my head hitting the ground hard.

  I blink back stars as I see the automaton towering over me.

  Then suddenly it's gone, and Gabriel reaches a hand down to help me up. I take it quickly and when I manage to stand, he dashes off, back to help Gideon.

  I search the area for Jem, and see him fighting one automaton as another corners him.

  I leap forward, bringing my seraph blade up. I plunge it into the automaton's back, then slice it upwards, splitting its head in two. I hear a carriage rattle off, but pay it no mind.

  It's then that I realise that Jem is unarmed. I realise with slight horror that I only have one more seraph blade.

  Just then, Will, Sophie and Agatha appear in the doorway, just above Jem and I. Sophie runs to Cecily, and knowing that Will would take care of Jem, I dash off, searching for Tessa.

  It's then when it clicks. The carriage.

  I hesitate, then I turn and I run. I run out of the Institute, heading in the direction of the carriage. I see it turning around the corner, and it's then I realise someone is running behind me. I turn slightly and see locks of silver hair. Jem.

  I look up as he catches up to me. He is uncharacteristically pale, and it worries me. There's no point telling him to head back, though. He won't.

  I push myself more. Then I stop. It's gone. The carriage is just gone.

  "No," Jem whispers.

  He falls to his knees, and I immediately go down next to him, bringing an arm around him.

  "Jem," I say softly. "You are not well. Please, we have to get you back to the Institute."

  Jem is sensical, unlike Will. He nods slowly, then stands up.

  I stand up as well, and then look at Jem more closely. He's covered in so much oil and fluid, it is hard to tell if he is injured.

  "We need to go back," Jem says, and then we both turn and run.

  Then he starts coughing. He doubles over. Blood can now be seen clearly on him.

  "Jem," I whisper. "We need to get you to the Institute."

  Jem nods. It's then that I look more closely and see that he does have red blood on him. Quite a bit.

  My heart seizes.

  When we reach the Institute, Jem is close to passing out.

  I bring a hand around his waist, supporting him in case. Jem turns and slams the Institute's gates shut, and I wince at the loud sound. Everyone turns to us.

  "James?" Will says, when we reach them.

  "She's gone," Jem says in a flat, uninflecting voice. "We ran after the carriage—but it was gaining speed and we couldn't run fast enough. Not with Ella wounded and having to watch out for me. We lost them near Temple Bar. If I could have run faster—," he says, and then he doubles up as if he is being struck, a cough ripping through him. He only doesn't hit the ground because I'm holding him up. My knees slam the ground, though, upon him weighing me down. The impact hurts, and I let out a cry, but I don't care. Blood spattering the ground at Jem's feet. His fingers clawing at the stone. Then suddenly his head is in my lap, and he is still.