Chapter 18: Not Your Name

ELEANORA'S POV
I knew what Tessa was doing when I stood up. Even so, I can't help but freeze in shock.

Then I almost topple over. I scowl at myself and draw out my extra dagger from my belt. Mortmain turns just in time to see me lunging at him with all my remaining strength. Then he disappears.

He's just gone.

  I fall to the ground, on my back, staring at the ceiling. Praying that someone will come. Oh my gosh, the pain.

  Then, just as I am about to close my eyes, I hear footsteps. My eyes snap open.

  Someone runs into the room. Will.

  "Will," I say, hand against my side as blood pools on the ground. You made a promise. Remember it. "Will, she's alive. She changed—"

  "Nora," Will says in a whisper.

  The last thing I remember are blue blue eyes.

~

  "It will take at least a few days before she regains consciousness." The voice is Charlotte's.

  "What happened?" Gabriel.

  "An automaton stabbed her."

  "And why weren't Herondale and Carstairs there to defend them?"

  "Mortmain led them to believe that the Dark Sisters were performing the binding ceremony."

~

  "Is she going to be alright?" Will.

  "I hope so." Jem's calm voice fills me with relief.

  "It's time for Thomas's and Agatha's funeral, James."

  "I know."

~

  My eyes snap open. Silence everywhere. I silently stand up, looking down at what I'm wearing. A nightgown. My wound. It's healed. I'm clean of blood.

  I'm in my room.

  I head to the drawer and change into Shadowhunter gear.

  Then I silently head out of my room. And I practically crash into Will Herondale. How typical.

  "Goddammit, Tessa," Will hissed, stumbling there.

  "He must be dreaming," I whisper, edging away slowly.

  Will's hand snaps up and his fingers encircle my wrist. "You unbelievably stupid, stupid girl."

  "Excuse me?"

  "You should have just stayed down," Will hisses. "Stayed down and not over use yourself."

  I roll my eyes. "Is that concern I hear in your tone, Liam? Honestly, I'm a Shadowhunter. We make sacrifices. We die at a young age. You can't possibly scold me for doing my job."

  Will shakes his head, looking away. "I... I think Tessa hates me."

  I frown. "What happened?"

  "She thought I had feelings for her. I told her that warlocks couldn't bear children. I told her I just wanted to use her..." Will's voice cracks.

  I lay a hand on his arm, and his eyes widen at me. I smile lightly. "We'll find the demon that did this to you. Force it to undo the curse. I promise you."

  Will laughs mirthlessly. "There's no point in you helping me anymore."

  "What do you mean?"

  Will motions for me to follow him and walks down the corridor and to the dining hall.

  Will takes my hand for a quick second and gives it a small squeeze. It's so fast that I might have imagined it.

  Then he opens the doors to the dining hall.

  And I stare. There's Jem, and Tessa, who's alright. Sophie who's serving the food. Charlotte who looks exhausted. Henry looking as animated as ever. Jessie picking at her food.

  And Caspian.

  Blue-purple eyes turn to look at me. In one second, emotion is drained out of my face. My blank face looks at Caspian's equally blank one.

  But I feel what he feels. And he feels what I do.

  Awe. Shock. Longing. Love. The emotions match my own.

  Will moves to his seat beside Jem. I notice how he and Tessa are studiously ignoring each other.

  "Ella! You're awake!" Charlotte exclaims happily.

  Jessamine looks up and manages a smile at me. Tessa stands and walks over to hug me.

  I give her a quick hug, then pull away and throw my arms around Jem.

  "I brought home a cat," Jem says.

  I laugh.

  Then I pull away.

  "Ella, this is our newest resident. Caspian Morgenstern."

  I shake my head mutely. "That isn't his name."

  "What?" Henry frowns, looking up from his newspaper. "But of course it is his name, dear Ella."

  I shake my head. "That isn't his name."

  "What—"

  "She's right," Caspian interrupts Charlotte, standing.

  "My name," He says slowly. "Is Caspian Nightstorm. And I am Ella's Brother."