Chapter 35: Masquerade

CASPIAN'S POV
Arm in arm, Ella and I enter the house. The door behind us clicks shut. We climb up the stairs in front of us. I feel Ella's confidence through the ring, hidden under my clothes.

Ella's ring itself is around her ring finger.

At the top of the stairs is another door—the symbol of the Pandemonium Club on it—which I reach over and open.

We step past, the door closing behind us. Instantly, the wash of course and music strikes us, as well as the sudden light. We don't falter, though.

I look down at the guests. Most look human, but there's also vampires, ifrits, and demons. There are also automatons. I feel Ella's shock from my ring, but as I glance at her, I watch her take in everything like she is the queen of them.

We head down, and my eyes meet with Gabriel's. I smirk, winking. He wears a mask as well, and he eyes both of us.

There's a table at the front, for the Gericht to sit at. Father won't be here, of course. He won't give his identity away.

We head to the front, where the table is. Its a level higher than the ballroom itself, so that we are above everyone else who's on the ground. It's a grand one, and there are seven seats lined up in a row, facing the ballroom.

The center one is for Father, but since he is not here, it remains empty. I sit on the seat at the right of his seat, Ella on the left, and soon the rest of the Gericht arrive. There's the Rabe, the two Chamäleons, and the other Schlange.

I turn and see Benedict Lightwood leaning back on a scarlet velvet sofa near the orchestra. He is coatless, a glass of red wine in one hand, his eyes half-lidded. Sprawled across his chest, is a woman—or at least it had the form of a woman. Long black hair worn loose, a low-cut black velvet gown-and the heads of little serpents poking out from her eyes, hissing. One of them extends a long, forked tongue and licks the side of Benedict Lightwood's face.

I almost gag in disgust.

"Is that Jessie?" Ella leans over and whispers, looking up at the steps we had descended about thirty minutes ago.

I look up and see her and mutter a curse word.

"You didn't know?" Rabe says. "She is Nathaniel Gray's Wife."

I can feel Ella's shock, but she doesn't show it.

"Interesting," Ella says, licking her lower lip.

I scan the room, and Ella stands. "I am going to have a chat with the Lightwood brothers. Signal if there's anything wrong," She says to me.

I nod and she's off.

I watch her as she moves past demons and vampires and ifrits. I watch how men's eyes linger on her. Most we have met before, so they know how she looks like.

~

ELEANORA'S POV
"You really shouldn't be drinking that," I say, plucking the lemonade juice from Gabriel's hand.

Gabriel laughs. "I didn't think you'd show."

"Well I am here, am I not? I'll need to go back soon, though."

"Yes, that indeed," Gabriel says. "You be careful."

I nod. "Of course."

I glance away, and my heart stops. Jessie and Nate are dancing, and there's something about the way Jessie moves that seems familiar...

~

CASPIAN'S POV
"That's not Jessie," Ella whispers as she seats herself back down on the chair a space from me.