Chapter 25: I Know

ELEANORA'S POV
Magnus leaves and I want to strangle him.

Will opens his mouth, but I finally decide to get it out. No matter what I said to him, I can't stand it. This harshness between the both of us.

"Yesterday was the day my mother died a month ago," I say, rushing the words out.

Will blinks, obviously not expecting that.

"That day, when you forced yourself into my room, I had hidden my white mourning cloak. I wasn't in the best mood, which was why I ordered you out. Then last night I imagined my dad calling my name. And I just took my anger out on you. I'm sorry."

  Will opens his mouth to answer. He finally says, "you say you're sorry now. But we both know this is going to go on. Don't help me anymore, Eleanora. I don't need it."

He turns to leave but I grab his arm.

"William Herondale," I say his name slowly. "You cannot try to push me away."

Will freezes, and I take that as a sign to go on.

"I don't care if you may actually hate me, but I didn't spend all those nights with you because I felt the need to repay you," The words come rushing out. "I don't. Will, I care for you. You think I hate you? I don't. And you can hate me, I don't care. But I will never hate you. Never."

Will doesn't turn to look at me, but he has gone very still. Finally, after what seems like eternity, he speaks up.

"You'd be surprised, Nora," He says, forgetting that I told him to stop calling me that. But that was in a moment of anger and hatred. "I'm very capable of making people hate me."

I let out a breath. "I know. But not me."

He yanks his arm back and walks out the room. I exhale and Magnus enters.

"Well I trust that that didn't go well?"

"It doesn't matter," I say softly. "I need to tell you something."

"What's wrong?"

I fiddle with the necklace around my neck.

"My Father is back," I say softly.

Magnus jerks forward, eyes wide. "What?"

"Listen," I hiss. "He was the one who killed my mother. He saved me. I had died. He saved me. I don't know how. He... He imprisoned me the week my mum died. I managed to escape. This ring. It wasn't from Caspian. It was from him."

Magnus is gaping at me.

"Caspian's does its rightful purpose. It syncs him to me, and lets him feel what I do," I say. "Mine does that as well, of course. But it also... extracts my life force."

"Extracts your life force?" Magnus repeats.

"When I put it on, two weeks ago, the ring started taking away my life supply. Then I took it off, but almost a quarter of my life source was taken. If I take off this ring, I'd be too weak. Now the ring is still taking away my life. Slowly. But soon I won't have it. He threatened me."

"With your life?" Magnus says, sitting down on the divan.

I nod. "Yes. But it's not just that. If I die, Caspian does too. He'll experience the pain and everything."

"How could you not say anything?" Magnus almost shouts.

I wince. "I found out start of this week. And either way, can you do anything about it? I don't suppose so."