8

Chapter 8

"Welcome to Arcadia," Rang through the large dome-like room. The female voice appeared to be everywhere. The gang looked around in shock, hoping to spot speakers or any other device that could transmit the sounds. There certainly wasn't a human with them right now.

"Ghosts! It has to be ghosts!" Snotlout shouted as he frantically looked around. They heard a feminine chuckle before the woman spoke again "Please wait here, someone will be with you in a moment."

"Guys don't you think that this place is a bit hinky?" Fishlegs asked.

"Fish, we are in a tropical rainforest, inside a mountain, in the desert!" Ruffnut summarized. "Hinky is an understatement."

"Who cares about that," Snotlout said as the short man walked towards what looked like a creek. "They have water here. I can finally wash this stink off of me!"

"I would highly advise against that course of action," The female voice interrupted in a somewhat monotone manner causing Snotlout who was toeing off his boots to yelp.

"Why is that?" Hiccup asked as everyone looked around.

"The water flowing through this biodome is untreated as of yet," The voice answered clinically. "It comes straight from the reservoir and contains contaminants that could cause diarrhea, vomiting, severe skin rashes, neurological disorders and cancer."

"So this water is flowing towards the room we just came out of?" Hiccup asked as something got his attention. "Where does all that water go next?"

"The clean water is distributed throughout the entire facility." The voice stated.

'Facility' Hiccup mouthed towards the others.

"What exactly is Arcadia?" Fishlegs asked.

"Arcadia is our pride and joy," A male voice interrupted. The gang turned to see two camouflaged double doors open to reveal three people in lab coats.

"It is such a surprise to have visitors here," A portly man with greying blond hair stated. "With the state of the world and all right now. I am Dr. Hank Hofferson. May I introduce my lovely wife Dr. Mary Hofferson." The woman with greying brown hair that was pulled in a bun nodded at them. "And our colleague Dr. Drago Bludvist." That man had long dreadlocks hanging over his lab coat and only gave the group a gruff "Hello".

"Hiccup I think they are scientists. Actual scientists!" Fishlegs, visibly excited, came to stand next to Hiccup and whispered.

When Hiccup saw that the three were waiting for their introduction he quickly said "I'm Hiccup, this is my cousin Snotlout, the twins Ruffnut and Tuffnut and Fishlegs. We're from a Caravan not too far from here."

"Would that be this caravan?" Mrs. Hofferson asked as she pushed something on the slim tablet she was carrying. She turned it around and the gang could see footage from outside. It showed the Berkian vehicles approaching the entrance to the dam.

Hiccup's eyes widened and then he whispered "Oh Thor, I'm dead meat!"

"How did they even find us?!" Snotlout shouted.

"Uhm......" Ruffnut mumbled. "We.... uhm..... Might have told Gobber."

"YOU WHAT!" The group exclaimed.

"He wouldn't give us the tracker unless we told him." Ruffnut shrugged.

"He also did mention that he was going to have to tell the Chief if we were gone for more than three hours." Tuffnut muttered.

"I'm dead, I'm dead. I'm so dead!" Hiccup shrieked. "Dad's never gonna let me leave the bus! He might even tie me to Mildew!"

"Well if they are your people then why don't we invite them inside." Hank suggested. "We have been monitoring your little group and the caravan since you've arrived. We wanted to make sure you were friendlies before we revealed ourselves."