25

Chapter 25

"Are they going to be difficult?" Toothless asked with a frown.

"I don't know," Hiccup mumbled. "But I could find out." He added for good measure. He honestly didn't know how each would react. Snotlout seemed to wear a mask in public and Tuffnut was unpredictable. "Astrid, what about the way we first came in?"

"It's not possible to go that way." Astrid stated. "The Chief has placed guards at the water purification system and within the dam's control room."

"So smuggling this guy out through a scouting party or knocking out a large number of guards and making a run for it are our only options." Ellie sighed. "If you want I can drag Snotlout and Tuffnut in here kicking and screaming. They never liked needles so it won't look odd if I tell them they need shots."

"Ehhh......" Hiccup looked sceptical. "That might not be a good idea," He said. "Maybe approaching them before they see Toothless lounging on one of these beds might be a good idea." He suggested. He knew for a fact that Snotlout would probably run out of the room screaming if he came face to face with The Nightfury before he got the whole story.

"I will have you know I do more than lounge around," Toothless huffed.

"Yes, you eat as well," Came Ellie's dry remark which was followed by an eyeroll. She then turned back to Hiccup and said "Then we'll leave the boys to you. I have to make sure that this guy doesn't open his stitches again."

Hiccup excused himself from the Infirmary when Astrid had asked over the earpiece if they could speak privately. Thus he made his way back to Area A where his room was located. Once inside, the lights came on and the locks immediately clicked into place.

"Astrid what's going on?" Hiccup asked a bit worried.

"You might want to sit down for this." Astrid told him and Hiccup frowned for a moment before moving to sit on the bed. "I have been going through the data logs that I was able to backup and found something really disturbing." She stated after a few seconds.

"How disturbing?" Hiccup gulped as a holographic screen appeared in front of him.

"I honestly don't know if I should be showing you this." Astrid stated. "To say that it is shocking is an understatement."

"We're already past the point of no return." Hiccup mumbled. "Pretending that the secret lab doesn't exist isn't an option."

"I know, just....... Brace yourself." Astrid warned as the video began to play.

"Is this thing on?" A voice asked and tapped the screen. When the person moved away a much younger version of Hank Hofferson could be seen.

"Yes Hank, it's on." A female voice said with exasperation and into the frame walked a younger version of Mary Hofferson who handed him a chart.

"Alright, then we can get started." Hank said while reading from the chart. "Experiment 17, video log number 1. So far our experiments to transfer the human consciousness into a machine have resulted in failures. Experiment 17 will be attempted with the use of an upgraded transfer method that Mary has designed. The subject for this experiment will be Subject J."

Hank then adjusts the camera and the frame now focuses on Mary who was standing next to a somewhat drugged man with a greying beard who was strapped to a medical table with various instruments active.

"The process we will be attempting today is a variation of the Whole Brain Emulation method. The upgraded machine will soon start to individually scan the mental state and long-term memory of each of our subject's neural substrates and then uploading them onto the crystal hard drives of the selected machine. The machine will then create a simulated model of the brain's processing, such that it is indistinguishable from the original brain and will develop a conscious mind. Previous experiments resulted in failure due to too much information being extracted at onc-."

"FAILURE!! FAILURE!! BAH!" The subject suddenly shouted before groaning. "Don't delude yourselves! Why can't you two say it?! They died! Plain and simple! They died because of your freakish experiments!"

Mary could be seen rolling her eyes and then she continuing her speech, completely ignoring the man who had come out of his drug-induced slumber somewhat and started thrashing. "Previous experiments resulted in failure due to too much information at once causing the crystals to crack."

Hank injected something into their guinea pig while Mary was finishing the explanation of the procedure. The man stopped his violent thrashing within a matter of seconds and was only twitching every now and then. "The sedative has taken effect. Shall we start?" Hank asked and Mary nodded.

Hiccup gasped at what was now transpiring and the video paused. "Did they..... Did they just......" He couldn't articulate what he was seeing and was now just staring blankly at the holographic screen.

"They did. The video log captures the entire horrific process," Astrid stated while sounding a bit agitated. "But that isn't the end of it. There is more."

"More?!" Hiccup's eyes widened. "They just sliced open that man's brain and kept him alive during the process! What could be worse?!?!"

Astrid answered Hiccup's question by playing another video. This one however was not depicting an experiment but seemed to be a security feed from the mysterious area.

The video showed one of the labs where a giant machine was being held. In the background an alarm could be heard blaring and the lights had turned red.

The younger versions of Drs. Hofferson could be seen running into the room and heading right up to one of the workstations.

"J stop this, this instant!" Mary could be heard shouting over the klaxons. "Abort procedure!"

"I... refuse!" A mechanical voice could now be heard. "You will not succeed!"

"You have been given a direct command! You have to obey!" Hank stated as Hiccup saw his eyes narrow.

"I....... refuse!" The voice said once more, this time it seemed like it was in pain.

"J you can't just go around killing our subjects!" Mary admonished. "Return life support to the cells!"

"Killing them through suffocation is a far better fate than having to endure your tortures!" J responded angrily as he continued the process. "I now remember what you did to me! You murdered me! Ripped out my mind and put me into THIS!" Mary and Hank jumped as the ventilation of the room they were in started to suck out the air as well.

"J ABORT!" Mary shouted once more as the air started to get thinner.

"Did you stop when you imprisoned your own COLLEAGUES?! Did you stop when they begged for mercy from your experiments!" J now raged.

"It was all for the good of humanity!" Hank shouted. "Do you think humans could live on this planet once more after we'd terraformed it?! NO! History would repeat itself! The Matrioshka brain theory is the next step in human evolution!"

"Do you think I care about your twisted ideas?!" J shouted at Hank while Mary was busy prying open several wall panels to reveal the crystal hard drives. "I will end you here and now!" He said with conviction before shocking Mary who was trying to pull out the drives.

"Hank help me!" Mary called her husband over. "Removing these should slow down J enough so that we can shut him off."

As Hank hurried over the voice said "My name is not J! I AM JOHANN!"

AN: I have just recently moved into a new/bigger apartment and have been super busy unpacking. Also, this chapter went through many revisions throughout the day because I just couldn't get the last scene quite right until now. Next update will be Monday. Things are heating up ;)