30

Chapter 30

"Wait what?!" Hiccup's eyes widened at the sudden news. "Global-what?!"

"Didn't you hear me boy?!" Drago growled. "Global euthanasia! The higher ups and the rich conspired to kill the overpopulation on Earth."

"Can you please stop calling me boy?" Hiccup muttered. "I have a name you know."

"And I'll use it when you stop being such an optimist." Drago stated with what could only be seen as an eyeroll.

"You are basically telling me that the entitled of this planet plotted mass genocide against their own people." Hiccup waved his hand in the air. "Do you know how insane that sounds?"

"Just as insane as people getting transferred into machines?" Drago countered. "Boy, you got yourself tangled up in a bigger conspiracy web than even you know."

"And how do you know about all this?" Hiccup asked as Drago started to reminisce.

-------Flashback-------

Drago was minding his own business in the laboratory when Johann rushed in and locked the doors manually. "What in Thor's name?" Drago asked as Johann's eyes looked wild and full of fear.

"We have to get out of here!" Johann exclaimed as he looked at his colleague. "Where is everyone else?"

"In the breakroom and just what are you on?" Drago asked in suspicion.

"Drago..... Gather the others... we need to get out of here! NOW!" Johann pleaded.

"Why?"

"Because we will all die if we don't." The slightly grey-bearded man uttered so solemnly that it was almost terrifying. Drago, knowing that Johann wasn't much of a joking person, grabbed the satchel on his desk he used to keep his research in. He and Johann were about to leave the labs when the klaxons sounded.

"THOR-DAMNIT!" Johann shouted as he rushed to the door and inputted his code. The code wouldn't work and the two scientists were locked inside as the klaxons stopped momentarily and a familiar voice was transmitted over the speakers.

"Greetings all inhabitants of Arcadia," A female voice filled the room through the speakers. Drago immediately recognized it as Mary Hofferson's. The klaxons only sounded in emergencies like hazard spills or a contamination and Drago wondered what was going on. Almost as if she read his mind she stated over the speakers "I am sure all of you are wondering what is going on."

The laboratories were soundproofed but Drago imagined that many of his colleagues in different areas were shouting "Let us out this instant," He certainly would have if Johann wasn't trying to input his code again.

"Escape is futile," Mary's voice chirped happily over the speakers again. A stark contrast to the dire situation that the scientists now faced. "The Terran Council has decided to revoke all your security clearances and has approved of project Transcendence."

--------End Flashback-----

"Hold up." Hiccup suddenly interrupted. "Project Transcendence?! Just what is that?"

"I have no record of that in the databanks I've been decrypting either." Astrid told both men.

"And you wouldn't either." Drago's gruff voice cut through Hiccup's musings. "The project was scrapped by the council the moment it was proposed. But that didn't stop the Hoffersons from lobbying to get it clearance."

"Why?" Hiccup asked. "What caused it to get turned down?"

"Ethical reasons mostly." Drago folded his arms in front of him as he frowned in thought. "It was basically Mary's pet project. Hank just went along with it. He always was at his wife's beck and call. The theory was that humanity had come to the end of its natural evolutionary path with the planet dying. Project Transcendence would study ways to force human evolution to greater lengths. One of the suggested methods was digitization of the human consciousness. No one thought it was possible. The science didn't exist at that time and even if it did it would mean experimenting on humans."