Part 38

Chapter 38

The gunshot reverberated through the missile silo along with a cry of pain. Mary had aimed the gun lower and proceeded to shoot Hiccup in the left leg. Hiccup fell down and clutched his bleeding leg as footsteps got closer to him.

He looked up to see Mary walking towards him with the gun at her side. So far she didn't see a reason to kill him yet, which was worrisome of itself. He scooted backwards out of the control room doorway, leaving a trail of blood behind. Mary watched him struggle for a few moments as his back connected with the metal railing that separated the catwalks from the large missile silo.

"Why?..... Why didn't you kill me?" Hiccup managed to groan. As his back connected with the railing.

"You're the one who caused me so many problems," Mary stated. "You even forced my hand to kill Hank. Granted, I would have killed him later anyways but he was still useful." she muttered unemotionally as Hiccup tried to stop the blood from flowing. "Now...... Now you get to see all your plans fail." A sinister smile now tugged on Mary's lips. "I've locked out the controls. In less than five minutes humanity on Terra will be extinct, making way for the true Chosen Ones to reclaim the planet." She bent down a bit so she was at a somewhat eyelevel to Hiccup "How does it feel, to know that all your plotting and scheming up to this point has been for nothing?" She chuckled.

"You said Terra?" Hiccup asked as the blood loss was starting to become apparent. "You can't be........"

"One of the Chosen Ones?" Mary chuckled. "I am," She admitted. "Sent by the Council to oversee the eradication of the parasites that infested this planet. Marrying a Hofferson was just icing on the cake."

Hiccup gasped, either from the pain in his leg or because Mary grabbed the front of his auburn hair tightly. "In the end I still win. Only those affected by Midas will perish. I will be here to welcome back all the other Chosen."

"Who made you Judge, Jury and Executioner?!" Hiccup spat but Mary merely snorted as if it as obvious.

"About three minutes remain," She smiled. "I'll just leave you here to get burnt to a crisp by the rocket's engines." She said as she let go of his hair and was preparing to head to what Hiccup realized was another exit. Though Mary didn't get far as she was suddenly tackled to the ground by Stoick who gruffly shouted "GET YER HANDS AWAY FROM MAH BOY!" His shout echoed through the entire silo.

She had been looming and gloating so much that she hadn't noticed Stoick enter the silo, nor had she seen him taking a running start at her. To be fair, Hiccup hadn't seen it coming either since he was in quite a bit of pain and his head was woozy from the blood that he lost. His dad had tackled Mary around the waist causing the handgun to go flying into the silo shaft. It clattered for a moment against one of the lower catwalks before nothing was heard. A sickening crunch filled the air as Stoick and Mary made contact with the metal floor. Stoick got up easily while Mary was clutching her chest and trying to breathe. Hiccup supposed that the audible crack from before must have been one or more of her ribs breaking.

"Where di-" Mary couldn't finish that sentence as she coughed up blood. "You bastard!" She wheezed.

"Stoick did ya get her?!" Came the question and Hiccup turned his head slightly to see Gobber, who was steadying Astrid, come hobbling towards them.

"HICCUP!" Astrid shouted as she let go of Gobber and closed the last distance between her and Hiccup on the floor. "Oh Thor," She said as she tried to help him stop the bleeding.

"Astrid we don't have time. The countdown....." Hiccup motioned to the control room and Gobber hobbled towards there. The normally mellow sassy blonde let out a string of curses no one there was likely to repeat.