10

Chapter 10

Hiccup had been lost in thought as he was mopping the floor in his assigned area. After his conversation with the A.I.,.... 'No, Astrid', he went back to finishing his assigned task. Cleaning the corridors in this area would take hours and his stomach was rumbling. A rumbling which Astrid picked up on.

"You are hungry," She said matter-of-factly. "You should eat."

"Lunch is in an hour," Hiccup answered back as he continued mopping.

"A human needs food three times a day," Astrid stated. "Nutritional values demand it. So far you and your people only eat once a day. Why is that?" The genuine curiosity had Hiccup looking up from his work. Even though he couldn't see where exactly the voice was coming from.

"When we left the settlement we only could get one meal a day. We needed to be able to stretch our rations in case we couldn't find supplies along the way." Hiccup explained. "On some days the men would go hungry just so that the women and children could eat. It's not out of ignorance that we avoid three meals a day....." Here Hiccup paused. "It's just, what we're used to."

"I see...." Astrid said and was quiet for a few seconds. "Will this be changing in the future?"

"Who knows," Hiccup shrugged. "I guess once we know how much food this place can generate and how much we can consume things might change. People need time to adjust."

"I wish to see more meat on your bones as well. You are way too skinny."

"Hey, this is all Viking muscle you're talking about!" Hiccup shot back as he laughed and flexed his non-existent-muscles.

"You look like a toothpick," Astrid shot back and Hiccup imagined the A.I. rolling her eyes. "You do not have to answer me if you do not feel comfortable but I do wish to inquire about your family. They seem...... disconnected." Astrid paused a bit, not sure of the word she had to use.

"I guess I could tell you," Hiccup shrugged. "I mean.... The others in the Caravan already know the story." Hiccup thought for a moment before explaining. "So you've met my dad already. Also watching him get tased was funny."

"A man should not insult a lady," Astrid huffed. "He had it coming."

"Right, so Stoick 'The Vast' Haddock," Hiccup mumbled. "His father, my grandfather, Old Wrinkly, was a military General so dad grew up in a strict household." Hiccup stated. "The world was pretty much heading into oblivion and in the settlement where he lived he met Gobber, Valka and Spitelout." Hiccup paused for a moment thinking. "Gobber was dad's best friend and they consider themselves brothers. He's also my Godfather."

"So he's family but he's not a blood relative?" Astrid asked.

"Blood isn't the only thing that determines family." Hiccup mumbled. He did consider Gobber much more a father to him than Stoick. "Uhm... where was I... oh yes." Hiccup mumbled. "Uncle Spitelout is mom's older brother. Mom was the adventurous type and often went exploring. That's how she met dad. All three of them ended up in the same scouting party."

"I am sensing there is some animosity here?" Astrid stated.

"Uh yeah, from the way Gobber told it to me Uncle Spitelout had seemed less than pleased that his sister was attracted to dad." Hiccup said. "Gobber said that they came to blows over it but later they reconciled. Something about mom, a broom, and pepper."

"Peppers?" Astrid asked.

"I don't know that part. I was too afraid to ask and Gobber shuddered remembering what mom had done." Hiccup explained. "And I guess Uncle Spitelout finally backed off and mom and dad married. They were genuinely happy. That was until I was born." Hiccup told her sadly. "You see...... mom went into labor early. They couldn't save her from bleeding out."