Chapter 21: Rock Stars Don't Like To Share Their Body Count

Kat

He leads me silently into my room, but he hardly glances at the walls, newly painted a cheerful tangerine. He closes the door and swiftly traps me on the backside of it, his hands on either side of my head, one of his thighs pinning my hip.

"Oranges sparks creativity," I shout over the music, gesturing at the walls.

He smiles at me. "Very nice," he shouts back. Then he leans close, tickling my ear with his breath. "Can you change the music, babe? Something sexy."

I pull my phone out and turn the volume on the music down, fumbling a second to put on Hozier.

"Good choice," he says. Suddenly he's captivated by my lips. Christ, this is it. He's going to kiss me. And I'm pretty sure, he's not going to stop there.

Just as he moves in for the kiss, words fly from my mouth. "I thought the color was a good change, you know? TIme for me to get out of blue hell, and get my juices firing again. My orange juices." What the hell is wrong with me? Why am I babbling? My heart is determined to burrow out of my chest and ruin this moment. So I take a deep breath and try to quell its mutiny. I realize I'm turning my phone over and over in my hands.

He takes my phone from me and puts it on the dresser. He makes that same sushhing noise he made so long ago on New Year's Eve, like he's trying to calm me. It works a little. I start to melt beneath his warm breath.

"I mean, creative is good. especially in the bedroom..." I start again. Fuck, shut up Kat and let the man kiss you!

He backs off a little, his gaze curious. No, no, no! Kiss me!

"You want to get creative in bed?" he asks.

"You said your shit is ridiculous, right? I'm just saying, I'm up for it. I'm done with boring blue. I'm in the hot, orange creative zone..."

His beautiful nearly grey eyes are completely focused on my face, and his lips are parted but slightly turned down in concentration. "You seem nervous. What you said yesterday in the elevator...are you actually scared of me, Kat?" His voice is low and dangerous.

"Pyeh-sheeew. As if."

He snorts. "Mmm-hmmmm," his body weight releases and he pulls me off the door.

Just as he comes close again, I blurt, "Are we gonna do this what?"

A furrow of eyebrows. "I want it to be good for you," he murmurs, slightly irritated.

"Up-against-the-door isn't good?" I twist my head over my shoulder, casting a regretful look at the door. He pulls my head back toward him. He's gentle, but he's showing me he's in charge. I like it. I like Trace and his ridiculous rockstar shit very very much.

"We'll work up to that," he assures me, leaning closer.

"Not at the rate we are going," I scoff.

He's literally an inch from my lips. I can feel his heat.

"Stop running your mouth so I can make it mine," he growls.

"Fine, make it yours," I say, and then, just as his lips brush mine, I pull back and squeak, "Only in bed though. Otherwise my mouth belongs to me."

He sighs. He gives me a look that's not just desire now. Something...much much more tender. He kisses my forehead, and then presses his against it. "How about I just wait until you're ready, Sweetheart?"

I grab his shirt. "Don't go anywhere. I'll be ready any second."

He laughs. We sway slightly to the music, our foreheads pressed together. My heart starts to slow, my muscles start to relax, and my lips start to burn.