Chapter 25: Rock Stars Have Things To Confess

Kat

"Ashlynn," I repeat and then, all I can think to say is, "What?"

"I called her, when I was in Riley's room."

"You called her, and she answered?" Ashlynn never answers my phone calls. Granted, I stopped calling awhile ago.

He nods. "She doesn't always, but yeah. She answered this time."

"So that's why you went down to Riley's? To get your old phone, so you could call her?"

"Not exactly." His eyes meet mine, and I see it in his eyes. Something small inside me snaps.

"You didn't need your old phone. She's in your new phone?"

"Yeah."

Wow. Fucking wow. I did not expect that. I already figured out he'd been helping her, but I assumed he let Riley handle it. He said only ten people have that number. And Ashlynn is one of them.

Before me.

Okay. Deal with that later. Obviously there's a bigger issue here.

"Why has she got you frantic?" I ask.

He won't meet my eyes.

"Trace."

He rubs a hand over his face. "I've been helping her. Now, she doesn't want my help anymore. And without my help, I'm worried she's going to...do things she'll regret. Things she can't...come back from."

I know what he's talking about. The things she was saying are starting to make more sense. "You mean like...sleeping with guys for drugs."

He doesn't say anything, he just looks a place on the floor. "I have Riley researching private investigators right now. In a bunch of cities. I'll find her, Kat. We'll help her."

Suddenly, the alcohol seems like it's kicking in, and I feel dizzy and exhausted. I remember that I'm running on three hours sleep.

"Thank you for what you've done for Ash, Trace."

"I don't know if you're going to thank me when you hear the rest, Sweetheart," he says grimly.

Oh, god. Suddenly I have a terrible feeling, about Trace and Ashlynn. I turn and walk into the second bedroom—not the one we were planning to share. I climb into the bed, not knowing what I feel or what I want to happen next.

After a few minutes, he follows me. He stands at the end of the bed.

"I don't think this is a good place to end our conversation, Kat. Don't people say couples shouldn't go to bed mad?"

"I'm not mad. I just don't want to hear about Ashlynn anymore. I want to sleep," I say.

He climbs in and he spoons me again.

"I think we should talk."

"I don't want to talk."

After about five minutes of just laying together, he slides a hand up my shirt, stroking my ribs, and I firmly remove it.

"You gotta help me out. I can't read your mind, baby. How do you want to work this out? Please, Kat...talk to me."

The dam breaks.

"I don't know. Everything is...all crazy. The tour stuff, the girls, your moods," I ramble, my words coming out in a high rush. "One minute you seem like the guy I know, and then every time you walk out the door you come back in a different mood. And now Ashlynn? And she's in your inner circle phone? What the fuck, Trace? What's going on? I'm freaked. No, I'm really pissed ...I don't know what I am."