Everything

Soulmates.

He loved that word. Loved the ring to it. Loved the way it sounded on his tongue. He loved everything it represented, everything it had ever stood for.

He loved it.

Soulmates were amazing. The concept in itself was wonderful. Someone to love you no matter what, to hold you in their arms and keep you safe. Someone who would always have your back. Someone who you could always count on.

Someone to love.

The thing they loved most about you was imprinted on your skin. There for all to see, a mark of love and pride for most. He thought it was beautiful how it worked. How someone would know they were loved from the moment they were born, no doubt about it.

How the world could tell you you were something to be hated and how the people around you could spit on your existence, but despite everything you would still know that someone out there loves you. You would still have something to hang onto when everything else was ripped away and torn to shreds.

It was said that soulmates could tell who the other side of their pair was as soon as they saw them. People have tried to explain the feeling you get and failed, saying it was like something clicked, like your other half was reunited with you, like everything in the world was suddenly fine.

He thought it was romantic, how two people who had never met could find each other in a room of crowded strangers.

He found it perfect.

Law does know about the markless. He knows some people are without the blessings of soulmates, cursed to be forever uncertain of love, of life. It's always a dreary topic, sure to dampen the mood in a moment.

You may consider Law an asshole for this, but he tries his best to ignore them.

Realistically, there was nothing he could do. No amount of mourning or pity would change their situation. He found it useless to treat them like they were less, like they were somehow outcasts. So he ignores them, treats their cases just like everyone else, acts like they're just another person, because nothing he does could ever help them.

Why he personally favoured soulmates was a bit of a long story.

Law had a past, just as everyone else. He wasn't one to sob over his backstory and bring it up in a search for pity and attention, so he rarely talked about it, and when he did it was always vague.

Law was an immigrant from another country, one that had been destroyed decades ago after being riddled with disease and famine. Law had been stuck there during it's downfall, had witnessed the death of his parents, his sister, his friends. He managed to escape, but not unscathed. Law was never quite as trusting as others. Never quite as happy.

Never quite as okay.

But he managed.

He was adopted by a clumsy marine, Corazan, who Law soon came to love like a second father. His uncle was terrifying but his life was still far more stable than it had been in a while, and for once, he felt like he could rest without hearing screams in his sleep.

He studied to become a surgeon, following in his parents footsteps as a tribute to them, as well as following a need to help those who might've been like him in another life, refused the help they needed, forced to suffer through life knowing their time was being soaked up.

Throughout the many dark years of his life there was always one constant, one thing that kept him going through it all.

His soulmark.

It had gotten him through so many hard times, so many nights spent crying and sobbing and mourning the loss of his childhood, so many nights were he would clutch his wrist close to his chest and protect it like it was the only thing that mattered.

He owed his soulmate his life.

It was a large debt to pay, to someone he had yet to even meet.

Many a people wondered what could be written there that could make him, the ever stoic Trafalgar Law, happy, but he kept it secret. They would ask what could possibly melt the surgeons frozen heart like his soulmark. What could be loved about such a young brute like himself?

Law let them speculate. He didn't really care what they thought about him.

On his wrist, in elegant and gorgeous writing, it read

'Everything'.

His soulmate loved everything about him.

Everything about Him.

Law was such a flawed person, he held more holes and tears than one person could care to count. He was as damaged as they come, with a sarcastic personality and a tendency to be rude to people he'd never met.

To hear that someone could love everything about him, broken bits and all, it made Law feel like he was the luckiest person in the world.

He wanted nothing more than to meet this person, to thank them for doing so much without ever realizing it. He wanted to find them and hold onto them for a life time, try to pay back his tremendous debt despite knowing that it was impossible.

Soulmates, were a miracle.

Hello, my names Trafalgar D. Law, and I am surgeon, living a bland life. I'm twenty two, and can't wait to meet my soulmate.

Part two- Complete

Introduction- Complete