Dormiveglia

Luffy didn't want to wake up.

The world is quiet here.

It's dark and bleak and filled with silence. It's a mind consuming black that devours all it touches. It's quiet.

He doesn't like the quiet. So rarely does he get to experience it, but when he does it always leads to harmful thoughts and tears. In those quiet moments he has to think.

So he doesn't like it here.

He's drifting off again, being pulled under to the waves of unconsciousness and silence, only to hear a voice.

It was muddled and incomprehensible at first. It sounded like someone was trying to speak under water. But he could just barely make out what it was trying to say.

"Luffy...wake...okay..."

"Mmn..." Luffy groaned, angry at the voice for disturbing his peace. He flailed his arm around before finding something that felt like a pillow and throwing it at where it sounded like the voice was.

There was an "oof" and the sound of someone falling over and Luffy snickered to himself, blurrily blinking his eyes open. Might as well wake up now. He doubted he could go back to sleep after that.

Wait. Where was he?

There's white walls and flowers everywhere and a weird beeping noise and why is Ace on the floor holding his nose?

Why is Ace here period?

"Lu, what the fuck!" Ace shouts, clearly distraught. Luffy looks at the pillow sitting beside Ace on the floor, and then back to Ace, a giggle falling out of his mouth before he could stop himself.

He hears another person laughing, and looks to his left to find Sabo in the seat beside his bed, bent over and heaving with laughter.

Luffy starts to laugh too, then, because Ace is really funny when he falls over.

"Luffy...oh my God..." Sabo manages to heave out between fits of laughter. He's red in the face, hands clutching at his sides, and Luffy thinks Sabo looks funny too.

Wait. Back to his original thought.

Where was he?

"Hey Sabo, where am I?" Luffy says, still fighting back giggles as he looks at Ace's indignant face, also red in the face from a concoction of embarrassment and anger.

His words seem to calm down the hysterical blond, because his laughter dies down till he was just panting, blinking away tears as he composes himself into his usual regal countenance.

"Lu,...do you remember what you were doing before you woke up?" Sabo starts, slow and complacent like Luffy's a three year old who doesn't know what to do.

Luffy blinks, eyes flickering over to Ace to see that he looked rather serious too. Why was everyone acting so scary?

Luffy hums as he tries to recall what he had been doing.

He was walking somewhere... And he was happy because of something...and....

Why can't he remember?

The dark haired boys eyebrows furrow, unaware of the other two boys pitying and concerned gazes.

"Um..." Luffy tries, because maybe if he talks he'll start remembering, but no. It's not working. Why wasn't it working?

He was... He....

Luffy gasps, hands coming up to clutch his head.

________________(flashback)

He was walking down the street. He was happy. He was really freaking happy.

The air was cold and biting, but he didn't care because he had a coat and he was happy. He's thinking. He's thinking about Torao. He thinks he loves Torao.

There's a woman across the street. She's wearing a green coat and typing something on her phone.

Luffy starts to cross the street. The light didn't change. He crosses the street anyway.

The woman looks up, notices him. Her eyes flicker to something outside of Luffy's view, then back to him.

Her eyes widen.

Luffy doesn't notice.

There's a shout, a scream, a light, and then pain.

______________(flashback ends)

Luffy gasps, and then he breaks.

A/n- fun fact Dormiveglia means "the space between sleeping and waking".