The Path to Happiness is paved with Agony

When Luffy walked home that night he was on cloud nine.

A permanent grin was stretched across his face, making people passing by stare at him strangely, but he didn't care. He had butterflies bouncing around in his stomach and so much adrenaline running through his body that he doubted he would be able to sleep for hours after he got home.

For the first time in forever, so long that Luffy felt like he might of discovered a new emotion, he felt something. He felt hope. Hope that maybe, his soulmate didn't hate him.

Hope that maybe his soulmark was just a mistake. Maybe he had been born with the wrong one, or maybe the person who was supposed to assign them messed up.

Because... he didn't feel like Torao hated him.

Torao made him feel like warm butter. He made him smile till his cheeks hurt and he was melting into a pile of goo. Torao was really serious but also really funny and he said that he thought Luffy was cool.

Torao made Luffy want to dance and run and call Zoro and yell at him about how fucking great he felt when he talked to Torao. Torao made Luffy feel like he was a different person, like all the baggage and stress had been ripped away and someone deep inside had been released.

Someone who was free, and bright, and fearless. Someone who could take on the world.

Torao made him happy.

It wasn't even Luffy's normal happiness. This was a different kind of happiness. This was an emotion that made him want to jump around and scream at the top of his lungs, shout that His soulmate didn't hate him!!

So Luffy was happy.

And he was hopeful.

But these new emotions and elations made Luffy distracted. With puppy love coursing through his veins and his brain high on passion, Luffy walked down the streets to his house without a care in the world.

Luffy takes a step onto the street to get to his house on the other side-

Let's just take a Moment to Freeze

What is love? Is it an emotion, or is it a memory? Is it an illness or a cure? Does it kill or resurrect?

Some would say that it's up for interpretation. Others would say that it's only a chemical in the brain. But in this specific instance, let's say that it's not. Let's say that love is a rope.

Let's say that some climb it side by side. Let's say that some help each other climb it, pulling each other up till they reached the top. Let's say that some push the other off and laugh as they fall. Let's say that some slip and drop off the plain of existence.

And let's say that some are hanging on by a thread. Some have tired hands that are calloused and bright red from white hot pain, but they still hold on, waiting, praying for someone to help them up.

Let's say that thread snaps.

What happens?

Well, it's as simple as-

"KID LOOK OUT-"

Agony.

A/N- yes, I am evil, why do you ask?