Law was a Simple Man

Law was on the night shift at work.

Law hates the night shift.

The night shift was always when he had to put the most effort in, because for some reason people preferred getting stabbed at night rather than the day.

Law was especially pissed off during this night shift because he had just gotten back from his wonderful date with Luffy. He had wanted to go home and dream about the boy after their date, but instead here he was, giving some poor sap stitches because he had tripped and cut his head on the side of a table.

Law gave a sigh as he finished tying a knot, wrapping the cut in bandages before sending the nurse in to help the patient with everything else. He stalked back to the front desk, intending to find his next patient, but paused as he saw a commotion near the doors that were for emergency victims only.

Curious, he walked over to see what it was about.

There were doctors and nurses all crowed around the doors, all talking in urgent and worried voices. Law tapped on one of the nurses shoulder, getting her to turn around.

"What's going on here?" Law asked.

The nurse gave him a worried look, "A patient just came in in critical condition. Some kid got hit by a car, got a severe concussion, several broken ribs and a punctured lung. They're saying he might not make it".

Law sucked in a rough breath. Damn. That sucked, poor kid. Their hospital hadn't had any close calls like this in a awhile, so it was understandable that the employees would be concerned.

"Do you know the poor guy's name?" Law asked, curious. He decided on going and helping with the man's surgery if he could, figuring he might be able to help.

"Yeah, they said it was Monkey D Luffy, or something weird like that."

   Let's take a moment to freeze

What would you do to save someone you loved?

Would you sacrifice your happiness? Your hope? Your life?

Would you sacrifice someone else's life? Would you destroy everything in sight? Would you throw away your pride and scream at any gods above for a second chance?

Would you take the breath from another's lungs, would you steal their youth and dance in their blood? One's devotion to another is often measured in sacrifice. But if you have nothing left to give?

If you have ripped open your chest and given your all, if you have given more than your all, and there's nothing but the dust resting in your hollow chest, what do you do?

Simple.

You start giving them dust.

Law liked to think he was a simple man.

He woke up everyday at the same time. He made his morning coffee, took a shower and headed off to work. He finished his shift and went home to cook dinner, watch TV, and go to sleep.

He rarely went out with friends. His adopted father only came around twice a year.

He lived a confined yet comfy life.

Law found pleasure in the mundane, the constants. Without those constants life was a tricky thing.

Something that he couldn't control, something that he couldn't predict and plan for. Without his constants he would be left for the wolves, trying to navigate his way through mazes of drama and grief that life just loved to stir up.

So Law kept things simple. Everyday the same, every moment uneventful.

Trafalgar Law was a simple man.

Luffy was a complex man.

From the moment he met him it seemed there were so many twists and turns in his life that it was impossible to keep up.

Luffy seemed to dance around any kind of mundane, boring life, like Law's.

Like he was more than that.

Like he was better, than that.

He pushed Law out of the safety of his routine. His schedule was broken and in its place came Luffy, who took his hand and showed him a part of life that wasn't just gray and apathetic. Something colorful and bright and loud.

He had been terrified.

To suddenly have someone in his life that wasn't from his work, someone new, someone who was so different and foreign that Law felt like he was from another planet.

Luffy was bright and happy and free.

He had a personality like the wind, going anywhere he wished and never once committing to the same routine.

It only took Law a couple days of knowing the man before he had begun to hate his once ideal life of schedules and punctuation. He wanted to be free.

Free like Luffy.

Luffy made Law a rather complex man.

He made his frozen heart melt and beat like a drum in his chest. He made adrenaline pump through his veins and his brain overdose on ideas of what he could do now, because he could do anything, he could be different, why had he never done this before?

Luffy made Law do things he normally wouldn't.

Like getting off his shift early and visiting him in his little Cafe. Like leaving the only restaurant he had been to in the last two years because they didn't have hamburgers, to go to a restaurant he had never even heard of in a town he had never been to.

Like shoving all the doctors and nurses out of the way to get to the door, fighting everyone off that tried to pull him back because oh god that was his soulmate.

"Mr Trafalgar, wait! You can't go in there right now, they're in the middle of an important surgery!"

Law ignored them and ran up to the window to peer in, stumbling back with bile rising in his throat as soon as he looked inside.

"Mr Trafalgar, are you all right? Do you know the victim?" Nurses and doctors voices blended into a blur of incomprehensible voices around him. He couldn't hear a single thing beyond the white noise in his ears.

That man in there, it couldn't be, it couldn't, it couldn't, it couldn't-

But it was.

Monkey D Luffy, Trafalgar Law's soulmate, was in that room in with his chest cut open while doctors hovered over him.

Law had thrown up before he could stop himself.