Angels are ten year olds

Luffy looked like an angel.

He looked like he had fallen from heaven right to the very spot in front of him, glowing in the tinted light of the restaurant. Law was wondering how other people didn't notice him, he seemed to fill the entire room with his presence, demanding attention with every soft exhale from his mouth. He could do nothing but stare, in a haze brought on by this man's elegance.

He had stolen the breath right from Law's lungs and taken his heart with them, rendering him utterly defenseless in the face of his beauty.

Luffy seemed to do that to him a lot. He found himself losing his usual apathetic demeanor around him, a fact that he was quickly growing annoyed with. How was he supposed to talk to him if he just kept staring like a creep? He probably seemed like a freak by now if he was constantly gapping the second he glanced at him.

So he found a new determination in himself, walking up to the man and laying a gentle hand on his shoulder, watching him spin around to stare at him with wide eyes.

"Luffy?"

Big brown eyes looked up to him and he melted on the spot. The site of those warm orbs swirling with specks of maroon and looking into his was enough to take his breath away again all together. Law felt as if he could spend a lifetime studying the depth and brilliance inside those eyes, lost in their endless oceans of brown.

"O-oh um hi, um, Tra...trafal...Torao."

Law blushed at the attempt at saying his name. But he didn't have it in him to correct the man, so he just gave a smile and nodded.

Luffy seemed a little bit more composed than when he had met him earlier, less over the place. Though, he noted with amusement, he was still every bit as fidgety as before.

He only realized he was staring (again, yes) after Luffy gave an awkward cough, eyes flickering to the side as a blush bloomed across his cheeks.

Law startled.

"Oh, um, hi. I reserved a table already so we don't have to wait, if you wanna go ahead."

Why was he so awkward?! He'd been on dates before, this was no different! Well, except that this was his soulmate and if he screwed this up it was all over...

...Let's maybe not think about that.

Okay. He can do this. Yeah! Be positive! He needs to believe in himself! (Why does it feel like he dies more and more every time he thinks that...)

Luffy gave a jerky nod in response to his question as Law lead them to the table. It was a booth, right next to the window with plenty of space.

Luffy was affecting him so much already. He wasn't used to being like this, being constantly anxious over his ever action. He wasn't usually wasn't this easily flustered, but Luffy came into his life like a hurricane and sure enough, managed to set him off course in every sense of the word.

As soon as they sat down uncomfortable silence washed over them in what seemed like tidal waves, leaving them awkwardly fidgeting in it's wake, till the quiet almost felt like physical pressure pushing them down and they were sure to burst.

"So-" "I-"

They both froze, Luffy's head ducking down as he turned red with embarrassment and Law giving an awkward chuckle.

"You go first," Law spoke.

Luffy gave him a bashful smile, playing with the edges of the menu as Law stared at him with mirth.

"I just wanted to say that I really am sorry for what happened at the brewery earlier today. I guess I was just really freaked out, I don't know what came over me."

"It's fine. You don't have to apologize for anything, honestly I was a little surprised too. It's not everyday you meet you're soulmate, y'know." He says, trying to get rid of the tension in the air desperately.

He immediately noticed Luffy's small wince at the words, barely even there. If the man weren't so devoted to studying the others face he would have missed it. But it was there, and Law wanted to know why.

"So, if you don't mind me asking...what did you mean earlier? Back at the coffee shop, you said something about it being better if you didn't have a soulmate. What did you mean?"

Luffy flinched.

Law immediately backtracked. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I was just-"

"No, it's okay."

Law sighed in relief. Luffy was gripping the edge of the table hard enough for his knuckles to turn white, emotions flashing behind his eyes faster than the naked eye could comprehend. A flicker of guilt, then dread, then resignation. He took in a breath, repeating a silent prayer in his mind.

"It's just, um, you see... I don't really have the best history with soulmates."

Law rose an eyebrow, confusion gripping him full force. What was that supposed to mean?

"I don't, um... well...I don't have the most favorable soulmark, I guess."

Law's mind instantly jumped to life.

Luffy said he didn't have the best soulmark, which probably means he's ashamed of his soulmark. It's probably something bad. His soulmate loves something bad about him. He's Luffy's soulmate. Oh god. But how could he? It didn't seem like there was anything bad about him! He was absolutely perfect in Law's eyes! So what was it? Oh my god, he's had the perfect soulmark, and all along his soulmate had had a terrible one! How cruel was he? He'd done this to the person he'd owed everything to!

After what seemed like hours of thoughts racing in his head, Law finally came to a decision. His face hardened into steel and Luffy shrank back, surprised by the seemingly sudden change in his demeanor.

He had to see Luffy's soulmark.

Now, keep in mind Law was normally a very brash person. The only reason he'd managed to at least act like a kind young man up to this point was for the sake of his soulmate. But once he had a goal, something to work towards or gain, then any semblance of a nice person was thrown out the window. So while the next few events may shock you as someone who had yet to see Law's darker side, remember that you are simply seeing him as he normally behaves.

"Let me see your soulmark."

Luffy squeaked.

"W-what?!"

"I said let me see your soulmark. Now, if you'd please."

"Why?!"

"Because I said so!"

"I don't have to do what you say! You're not the boss of me!"

"What are you, 10?"

At this Luffy stuck his tongue out at him, just for spite. Law's eyebrow twitched.

"Excuse me, are you two ready to order?"

A/N: I am so sorry that the hiatus took a little longer than I'd thought! You all have been so supportive of me and I have nothing but gratitude towards you! I already have a couple of chapters planned and I just need to add the finishing touches. I promise to post again soon!