3. A Big Mistake

After experiencing Sherlock's intelligent questions during lectures and looking at his previous test scores, professor Marks realized Sherlock had an inquisitive mind that absorbs relevant information like a sponge. With a mind like that, he had bright future ahead of him. He reached out to him to enhance his ability from A-grade student to a cum laude student.

One day after class, he called Sherlock aside. He waited until all the students left before he asked. "Do you have another class now?"

"No, why do you ask, Professor?"

"Me neither. Do you want to have coffee with me at the cafeteria downstairs?"

Sherlock stopped breathing while staring at the handsome man.

"If you have something else to do, we can make it another time."

He nodded at first before becoming aware of what he was doing and shook his head. "No, I'm not busy. Coffee will be nice."

They became friends and spent more time with each other.

Two month later, professor Marks invited Sherlock to his home for the weekend. He picked him up Saturday morning. They went for breakfast at a nearby diner, did some shopping afterwards and returned to his home late afternoon.

After they unloaded the shopping bags, he showed Sherlock his room before taking him for a tour through the house.

"Your house is lovely, Professor."

"We're not at uni now. Please, call me Andrew." He placed his hand on Sherlock's shoulder and steered him towards the kitchen. "Would you like some wine."

He nodded as he took place against a cupboard. His heart rate increased when Andrew brushed against him while leaning over him to reach for the wine glasses.

He poured white wine, handed a glass to Sherlock and gazed at him. "Why are you so quiet?"

He took the glass from him, sipped on the wine and shrugged. "I don't know."

Andrew grabbed his hand and dragged him into the living room. "Come sit and relax. Forget about classes and uni. Just be yourself."

Sherlock glanced at him when he sat down on the couch. Could that be an invitation? He didn't want to make the same mistake as with Matt. They were attracted to each other. Both were scared to make a move and he left London without kissing Matt once.

He put his glass on the side table before he took place next to Andrew on the edge of the couch and turned to him.

"So tell me, did you make any decisions on the list of labs interested in you?" he asked and moved forward to sit on the edge of the couch as well.

Sherlock gazed at the full lips as it moved while he spoke. He took a deep breath, leaned over and kissed him.

Andrew gasped aloud, shoved him away and jumped up while wiping his mouth. "Good god, why did you do that?"

Sherlock's eyes enlarged. Within seconds, he stood on his feet and held his hands in the air. "I'm so sorry. I thought... I thought you were... I'm sorry," he brushed his fingers through his hair.

Andrew glared at him. He snorted. "You have a brilliant mind. Now you want to throw it away with this gay shit."

Almost in tears, Sherlock paced up and down with his hands locked behind his head. "Oh god, what have I done?" he murmured. With tears in his eyes, he glanced at the furious man in front of him. "I think I better leave." He turned away and hurried down the corridor.