13. 221B Baker Street

Mike moved his chair backwards and stood up. "I'm going for lunch, do you want something form the café?"

Sherlock looked up from the microscope and glanced at his watch. "One o'clock already?" He stood up, stretched his back and took his packet of cigarettes out of his lab coat's pocket. "I'm on the roof if anyone's looking for me."

Mark accompanied him to the lift. "Do you want me to bring you something?"

"Yes, a flat mate."

He chuckled. "So, when did you decide to change your mind?"

"Last night when I checked my budget." Sherlock got out when the lift stopped on the top floor.

"And something to eat?" Mike asked while keeping the door open.

"No thanks."

He shook his head after the doors shut, pressed the ground floor button and smiled all the way down.

After he bought a hot dog and milkshake, he went over to the park across the hospital to his usual spot. He took place on one of the benches to eat, when he noticed a familiar face passing him by. "John," he called out, but the man kept on walking. He put his lunch down and jumped up. "John Watson, he called out again, louder this time.

The man stopped and turned around. He didn't recognize him at first and frowned, while walking closer.

"It's Mike, from school."

His face lit up. "Oh yeah, Mike."

"How are you? Heard you got shot in Afghanistan."

"Well, as you can see I'm doing fine."

"I'm having lunch, can I get you something?"

"Just coffee, thanks."

Mike pointed to the bench where he left his food. "Have a seat. Be with you in a minute." He trotted off as fast as his plump body allowed him to the café. He hurried back with John's coffee and handed it to him.

Out of breath, he fell down on the bench, grabbed his milkshake and took a mouthful. "When did you return?

"About a month ago."

"Where are you staying now?"

John sighed. "In a room across town, on my army pension I can hardly afford the rent."

Mike smiled. "This is a coincidence. A colleague of mine is looking for a flat mate. Are you interested?"

His eyes enlarged. "Yes of course. Where are you working?"

He pointed to the tall building on his left. "St. Bart's hospital, I'm a lab technician there."

After he finished his lunch, he glanced at his watch. "I have still ten minutes left, but we can go now if you're in a hurry."

John shook his head. "No hurry, only an empty room awaits me."

They chatted about schooldays until the time was up, before heading back to the hospital.

They took the lift up to the lab.

He opened the door and glanced around. "Is Sherlock still up on the roof?"

Linda shrugged. "I guess so."

He shut the lab door and turned around. "Let me show you to the roof."

They took the lift again and climbed out on the top floor.

"Sorry, I'm not going with you. The stairs will kill me. Just take them up and go through the door. You'll find him there smoking."