11. The Consulting Detective

Sherlock took a taxi the next day to meet with Greg at New Scotland Yard. After going through the case files, he took him to the crime scene at an old house in Brooklyn.

When they returned after a few hours, Greg called Sally, a detective and Anderson, a forensics expert, who's working on the case with him to his office and introduced them to Sherlock.

"Are you a private detective? Sally asked.

"No, he's a lab analyst with deduction skills," Greg answered on behalf of Sherlock. "Tell them about the extra clues you found."

They glanced at each other while listening to Sherlock's findings.

"That's impossible. We've searched thoroughly," Anderson said.

Sherlock ignored the remark. "You have to question the gardener again."

Sally gaped at him before she turned to Greg. "Why did you bring him in? Are we not good enough anymore?"

DI Lestrade held his hands up. "No, that's not it. Just hear him out."

Sherlock explained to them why he thought the gardener was the killer.

"We've already interrogated him. He's innocent. I'm not going to waste my time." She pointed at Sherlock as she glanced at Greg. "Who does he think he is?"

Anderson chuckled. "This is police work, not some kind of lab experiment."

Sherlock glared at the two them. "Well Greg, it seems to me your team has everything under control. I refuse to listen to their insults any longer." He turned around and walked out of the office.

Lestrade glared at them. "Why are you so rude to the man? He went out of his way to help us. Bring the gardener in for further questioning, that's an order." He rushed out of his office and caught up with Sherlock outside the building, waiting for a taxi. "Don't mind them. Are you sure it's the gardener?"

Sherlock turned to him. "If he is the killer, I will help you with your other cases." He lowered his arm when a taxi stopped next to him. He opened the door and glanced back at Greg. "Your cases, my time, free of charge. Afternoon, Detective Inspector."

Greg stared at the taxi driving off. Goodness, not even six hours on the case and he solved it. He could be an asset to the station.

The ringing of his cell phone drew his attention. "Lestrade," he answered. He smiled. "Hello love. Yes, he just left with a taxi." He smiled again. "I told you last night your brother is impressive." His face dulled. "Don't be silly. Why would I leave you for him?" He glanced at his watch. "I have to go. Will I see you tonight?" He nodded. "I'll be home at five. Greg smiled once again as he put his phone away while walking back to his office.

***

Just before five, Sherlock's cell phone rang. He glanced at the screen and frowned not recognizing the number, before he answered. He arched a brow. "What did I tell you? Yes, my offer still stands. How many unsolved cases do you have?" He smiled. "I will see you again tomorrow."

Sherlock narrowed his eyes as he patted the cell phone against his chin. He had to work tomorrow. He bit his lower lip, searched the lab's number on his phone and dialed it. "Linda, Sherlock. I'm not coming in tomorrow, will be there on Friday." He sighed. "Of course I'm fine." He ended the call and called Mycroft. "No, calling is faster than texting. I want a favor from you." He shook his head. "Not money. Let them reduce my working hours at Bart's." He sighed. "Why do you always have to know everything? I'm going to be a consulting detective. Yes, consulting detective, google it, I'll be the first one." He smiled. "Did he tell you I solved the case? Good, now reduce my hours at the lab. I will be there on Fridays only." His face flushed. "Good god, Mycroft," he yelled. "This is what I want to do. Yes without pay." Sherlock arched a brow. "Is Lestrade there? Put him on the phone." He waited a few seconds, before Greg answered. "Will you talk some sense into your boyfriend's head," he said and dropped the call before he could put Mycroft back on the phone.