16. Lovers at Last

Sherlock sat at the kitchen table after making breakfast for John. It was the first morning he didn't sit with the newspaper in front of him. His head rested on his hand while he stared in front of him.

John glanced at him. "Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?"

He smiled before shaking his head.

The newspaper lay on the table next to him as usual. He traced the headline letters with his fingers.

John placed his hand on his. "I'm not rushing you into anything, Sherlock."

His fingers stopped tracing the letters. He looked up and smiled. "I know," he said and stood up from the table.

John stood up after he left, put the dirty dishes in the sink and strolled towards the bathroom to take a shower.

Sherlock picked up his violin and played a piece of music he composed a few days ago.

John's eyes enlarged when the music came drifting towards him. He wrapped a towel around his waist and stepped out of the bathroom. He leaned against the doorway, watching him. "That's beautiful," he said after Sherlock stopped.

He turned around and smiled. "Do you think so? It's my own composition."

John arched a brow. "Wow, a beautiful face, and talented as well."

Sherlock waved his hand back and forth. "Put something on, you're distracting me."

He snorted. "Okay, I'm leaving. I have to take a shower first."

He turned to the window and glanced out of it while playing different pieces of music.

John came back after his shower, fully dressed this time.

After cleaning up the kitchen, he went back to the living room and sat in his favorite chair while listening to the violin music.

When Sherlock's phone beeped, John picked it up and read the message. "It's Mycroft."

"Ignore him," he said and kept on playing.

"I think it's important, Sherlock."

He lowered the violin and turned to John. "What does he want?"

"He says Britain needs you."

Sherlock's face dulled. "Not now." He put the violin down, grabbed the phone from John and dialed Mycroft's number. "What now, don't you think Britain can wait?" He sighed and shut his eyes as he listened while his brother explained. "Fine, I'll do it." He pulled a face and chucked the phone on the couch.

"Is something wrong, Sherlock?"

"Yes, I have to leave. Mycroft's driver is picking me up in thirty minutes."

John's eyes enlarged. "Where are you going?"

"France, I'll be gone for a month, maybe longer." He rushed into the bathroom and took a shower.

John stood outside the door waiting for him.

When he came out he nearly bumped into him. "I'm sorry for leaving, John." He moved past him and hurried to his bedroom.

After he packed a few things, he put on his coat and scarf. He frowned when he noticed the expression on John's face. "Don't look so worried. I'll come back."

He sighed. "I'll be waiting." He took the suitcase from Sherlock, kissed him on the cheek and accompanied him downstairs.

The black sedan stood in front of the building when they came out.