6. The First Real Date

Sherlock passed his final year exams successfully. After graduation, he moved into a tiny bachelor flat Mycroft had organized for him. With a biomedical science degree in hand, his brother also found him a position at St. Bartholomew hospital's laboratory.

He continued to play the violin. On his off days, he went back to Willa at the university for more lessons.

After the third attempt of asking him on a date, Sherlock finally agreed and went to dinner with professor Linder.

After they gave their order to waiter, he deduced people entering the restaurant, avoiding eye contact with Simon.

He stopped breathing for a second when he became aware of a warm hand on top of his. Now he had to look him in the eyes. He didn't, though. Instead, he lowered his head and stared at the table.

When Sherlock moved his hand to free it, Simon tightened his grip. He gasped and raised his head slowly until they locked eyes. This man wanted more than he could give him. He wasn't ready for a relationship.

"I think you know by now how I feel about you, Sherlock."

He nodded, struggling to find the right words he kept on staring at the man in front of him. He swallowed a dry lump before he took a deep breath. "I'm not ready for a relationship, Simon. I hardly know you. Besides, I'm so busy at the lab I don't have time to social." Sherlock rolled his eyes after Simon broke eye contact. What a lame excuse, why didn't he tell the man he couldn't be in a physical relationship, not now – maybe never.

"Can't you skip a violin lesson just once a month to make time for me? I know you're still seeing Willa for lessons. Well, actually she told me."

He returned his gaze to Simon. He did like him. Maybe he should give him a chance. While licking his lower lip and after sucking on it, he noticed a sparkle in Simon's eyes. He was turning the man on. He let go of his lip immediately and placed the back of his fingers in front of his mouth, distracting him.

"If you want me to beg, I'll beg," he said smiling faintly, his eyes pleading.

Sherlock snorted. "Oh, please don't." He sighed. "I'm not the person you think I am, Simon. You might hate me if you see me more often."

He smiled. "I could never hate you, Mister Holmes. Since that first day you walked into my class room, I couldn't take my eyes off you."

The side of his mouth slouched as tried to hide a smile. "If you promise not to rush me into anything, we can give it a try."

Simon's eyes enlarged. "I promise." He gazed at him like so many times before.

Sherlock sucked on his lip again.

"But if you keep doing that, I won't be able to hold my promise."

Sherlock furrowed his brows. "Doing what?" he asked biting on the left side of his lower lip.

"What you are doing right now, biting and licking your lip."

His face flushed. He let go of his lip and sighed with relief when the waiter brought their food. This would keep the professor's mind out of the gutter for a while.

After they enjoyed their meal and was on their way back to the car, Simon suggested that Sherlock went back to his place for a nightcap before taking him back to the flat.

He refused bluntly. "I told you not to rush me. Can you please take me to my flat?"

Simon's eyes enlarged. "Fine, I'll take you back. Don't get your knickers in a twist."

"And keep your trousers on, professor Linder."

He gaped at him before he blinked a few times. "I beg your pardon. The invitation to my house was for a drink only. I'm not some... sex maniac, Mister Holmes."

Sherlock kept a straight face while hiding a smile behind his hand. This was the first time he saw him angry. It made him look kind of sexy. He also adored it when he called him Mister Holmes.

Simon stopped in front of the block of flats and turned to him. "Are you free this weekend?"

"Only Sunday."

"Great, I'm picking you up at ten. I'm cooking you lunch. How can we get to know each other if we don't spend some time alone?"

He nodded. "I'll be ready." He opened the car door. "Thanks for dinner, I've enjoyed it." He gasped aloud when Simon put a firm grip on his shoulder, pulling him closer. He blocked him with his hands against his chest. "Please don't, not tonight."

He let go of Sherlock and sighed. "Sorry, I promise to take it slow."

***

After visiting Simon's house on Sunday, Sherlock agreed to another visit. This time he allowed him to kiss him goodnight after taking him back to the flat.

"You see, I don't bite."

He snorted. "I knew that. I just need some time to adjust."

Simon frowned. "What do you mean by that?"

"Something happened when I lived in Liverpool. I'm still trying to figure out how to cope with it."

"Oh god, what –"

Sherlock held his hands up. "Don't ask me," he said while cutting him off midsentence. "Neither my brother nor my parents know the story."

Simon traced his fingers over Sherlock's slender hands. "You can tell me when you're ready." He kissed him on the cheek before he let go of his hand. "When can I see you again?"

He chuckled. "Out of the question this week."

"What about the weekend?"

"Saturday violin lessons and on Sunday I have to work."

"Can't I pick you up after your lessons? It's not the whole day, is it?"

"Don't push it, Professor."

Simon sighed. "You're a difficult man to persuade, Mister Holmes."

"I'll call you if I change my mind." Sherlock jumped out the car before Simon could get hold of his hand again. He strolled over to the driver's side and bent down. "Thanks for a lovely day."

Simon brushed his finger over Sherlock's cheek. "I hope you change your mind." He smiled while watching his beautiful man walking away. He started the engine and waited until Sherlock entered the building before he drove off.