Cassidy

As if she heard her ex-husband say her name, Cindy appeared before us. She momentarily shaded her eyes from the bright headlights. Then she adjusted her stance, widening her legs, one hip cocked to the side, arms crossed--impatience thy name is Cindy--as if her presence tonight was anything but a surprise, and we somehow made her wait too long.

Of course Cindy was pretty. No, she was beautiful. I'd seen a photo of her somewhere before, but I couldn't exactly place where. She was all puckered lips, tiny waist and blue-green eyes that shone against her flawless caramel skin. Her hair put shampoo models' hair to shame. It was the type someone paid tons of money for at a salon, but the results still looked natural. I bet she woke up like that everyday.

After a few tense minutes in the car, Tate finally shut the engine with a groan. His face darkened. Hardened. Dangerous. I'd never seen that look before. It made me feel skittish. With a gulp, I reached for the door, about to step out when Tate stopped me with a harsh guttural tone.

"Stay in the car."

It was a command. I nodded even though he wasn't looking at me. He stepped out, slammed the door behind him so hard it shook the car, and I jumped. But my concern was Maddy. I twisted to check if the noise had woken her up. Thankfully, she was sound asleep. If someone disagreeable happened between her parents, it was my job to ensure she was safe from it. I turned my attention back to the front of the house and was shocked to see what was happening.

I hadn't expected this. Jealousy rolled into my stomach when Cindy lifted her arms and her hands snaked behind Tate's neck. She had an Instagram type of smile. Perfect. Easy. Sexy. No wonder Tate had married her.

There was familiarity in the way she touched him. Why wasn't Tate pushing her away? His hands were hanging on his sides. Then she kissed him and my heart leapt in my throat. It wasn't a kiss by a woman who was getting divorced from
the man she was kissing. There was heat and desire in that kiss. I could practically see her tongue in his mouth. I looked away, feeling like I shouldn't be watching this intimate moment.

Was Tate still in love with his wife? Did he want to get back together with her?

There was a tight squeeze in my chest and I wanted to vomit. Regardless of what Tate was feeling, I, too, was in the wrong. I slept with him. I seduced him. I kissed him. I jumped into bed not thinking of anything else but how much I'd wanted him.

A tapping on my window surprised me, pulling me out of my thoughts, and I glanced up to see Tate beside the car. I couldn't read the expression on his face. He opened the back passenger door.

"I'm taking Maddy to her room. Could you stay in there for a bit while I talk to Cindy?"

Talk or make out? I wanted to spit out but I bit my lip. My insecurities were getting to me. My jealousy had taken over as well. "Okay," I said quietly, doubting he'd heard me at all. I got out of the car and waited for him before walking toward the house. At the door, Cindy waited. I wanted to get back in the car and return to my parents. Instead I followed after Tate.

"Oh my baby. She's so tired," Cindy said, patting Maddy's hair as Tate passed her.

"Don't wake her. Let her sleep. She had a long day," Tate told her. He didn't sound angry. He sounded like a father reminding the mother of his daughter how much fun Maddy had had.

I was more than confused. Last time Tate spoke about Cindy he was practically cursing her off. And today at the party, I'd overheard him and my brother talk about the situation. Regardless of all that, I smiled at Cindy. She was, after all, Maddy's mother. Maddy was a sweet and thoughtful child. It wasn't hard to love Maddy as much as I did even with our short time together.