25. Rules

AN: There will be some words from Twilight. Those words are property of Stephenie Meyer. In no way am I taking credit. Just using them for the alteration of the story. Thanks.

25. Rules

            We stood outside Mike’s house the sun had already set. I could feel the buzz of adrenaline pumping through my system. Charlie was saying some last minute things to Mike and his mom while Edward, Carlisle, and I were outside by Charlie’s cruiser.

“It’s going to be okay, Bella,” said Carlisle.

I smiled at him but deep down I didn’t believe him. Everything had been a little too easy. Normally Mike would have put up an even bigger fight than he had. I just had a really bad feeling about this whole thing and that was not a good thing. I felt a chilly arm pull me back against a hard chest as I looked back smiling at him. Despite everything that was happening, I still didn’t know how Edward felt about me. He was doing all of this for me but I didn’t really know how he felt about me personally.

Maybe I was being stupid and his actions were speaking louder than his words ever could. Though, for some reason I wanted to hear the words from him instead of tiptoeing around the possibility.

“Is everyone ready to head out?” Charlie asked coming back to the cruiser.

I nodded giving him a small smile. I still had a lot to think about and I could already imagine how the rest of the night was going to be spent. I’d be lucky if I got an ounce of sleep tonight.

“We better head home. We can just get some pizza tonight, Bells. You shouldn’t have to cook tonight…” said Charlie.

I shook my head forcing a smile, “No, I want to cook.”

I didn’t say anything further. I figured if I cooked, it would give me something else to think about. I could keep busy and not breakdown from all the stress of the day and the biggest reveals of them all.

“I can come over and help her cook, Chief. I can get a ride home from one of my siblings. Carlisle can head home and I can come over and help her cook. She can show me what to do and I’d be more than happy to help.” Edward said.

I gave him a smile noting his gentleman era ways. Charlie, though, was staring at Edward pointedly. I wasn’t sure what Charlie was about to say but I sincerely hoped he would allow Edward to come over. I didn’t think I was capable of being away from him at my present state.

Carlisle smiled at us all, “That’s up to the chief. I need to head home I’m sure Esme already has dinner on the table and probably wondering where I am. I’m sure she’s already called the hospital which has probably got her a little worried.”

“Maybe Edward should head home for dinner…” Charlie said trailing off toward the end.

“Edward already ate.” I blurted out frowning.

I felt everyone staring at me wondering what I was talking about probably what I was one as well.

“Um, he ate at the hospital because I was worried about him. He hadn’t eaten the entire time I was there so I forced him to bring some food into the room and eat.” I told Charlie.

Carlisle and Edward knew this was a lie but it was only really meant for Charlie just like Carlisle’s fib about Esme having dinner on the table. Charlie sighed glancing over at Carlisle probably realizing his excuses were gone.

“You don’t mind if he comes over, Dr. Cullen?” Charlie asked. He shook his head, “Not at all. Oh, please call me Carlisle, Chief.”

I saw Charlie’s cheeks darken slightly, “Very well, call me Charlie. Alright kids, we better get going.”