35. Mind over Matter

A/N:Might be a little ofMature Content Ahead. Readers be warned. I don't claim to know anything pertaining to the medical field. That being said, I'm not sure if any of this would work in real life as I did all the research and typed this chapter to best I could. If something is wrong or doesn't seem realistic than I apologize as it had to happen for this story. Also this story will no longer but in the Watty Awards since it was not completed in time. I will also dedicate this chapter to the appropriate people later when I have the time. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

35. Mind over Matter

Edward’s POV

When we finally make it back to the house, Jasper is gone and Alice is standing with Esme. Carlisle is carrying Bella into the house with me trailing right behind him. Esme looks fearful toward Bella her eyes welling with unshed tears, “Oh, Bella!” she cries. My body feels like it’s mostly on autopilot as I follow Carlisle into the house heading straight for his office. “Rosalie and Emmett are on their way. They are rather far out since they wanted the weekend to themselves,” Alice informed me. I felt someone tugging on my arm as I turned to see Alice. Gone was her usual peppiness as well as her infectious smile. She looked genuinely concerned, “Edward, you need to make the decision when the time comes. I can’t see anything right now, it’s like everything changed. Nothing is set in stone, remember. It all changed…” I stared at her confused before she forced a smile, “Don’t be surprised by what you find or what you see. Make the decision you can’t live without.”

“Edward!” Carlisle called. Alice and I ran up the stairs into his office. Carlisle had changed his office lately in the past few weeks so Bella could have her checkups in his office. “Alice, have you hunted enough?” Carlisle asked sliding the gurney with Bella onto the floor. Alice nodded quickly, “Yes, I hunted. I’m good to go.” Carlisle nodded, “I need the desk cleared off. I didn’t have time to get an actual bed with forceps so this is going to be on the desk.” Alice ran over to the desk quickly removing all the things from Carlisle’s desk. Carlisle turned to me with a grim smile, “Edward, we both need to wash up. If we’re going to do this it’s not going to be easy at all.”

I moved into the bathroom knowing that I had blood all over me from carrying Bella to the house. I removed my jacket since it was stained with blood. My eyes were probably slightly dark from all the blood but I couldn’t think about that right now. Bella was counting on me to make the right decision. Though, she needed to hold on for the sake of the kid as well as her own life. I was going to fight as long as she kept her heart beating it was all I could do to help her. Tossing the jacket to the trash, my fingers gripped the sink in front of me below the mirror.

“Please, Bella…” I whispered to my reflection as I lowered my gaze down to the sink, “just hang on for me. I can’t live without you…” There was blood on my hands and I realized I needed to clean them so that I didn’t get her infected. We had to take every precaution possible in order to save her and her kid. I scrubbed my hands from the blood as well as my face hoping the water would be a wakeup call. I couldn’t lose my cool right now, not now. My eyes were losing the rich golden butterscotch they had become after hunting thanks to all of Bella’s blood. I didn’t feel the least bit thirsty compared to all of the other emotions racing through my mind and my body. I might not have been human but there wasn’t much separating us at this moment. Emotions were coursing through my body at such lightning speed that I felt slightly dizzy from the experience.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and Alice’s mental voice invaded my thoughts, “Edward, I can’t see Bella’s future right now. You need to get back in here, Carlisle needs you.” I took an unneeded ragged breath before wiping my hands off on a towel stepping out. Alice stood beside the door with a grim expression, “She needs you, just as you need her, Edward.” I nodded absentmindedly following her into Carlisle’s office where Bella lay on Carlisle’s desk. Carlisle and Alice had removed everything from the desk and Bella lay drenched in blood on the table. “She needs to be cleaned before we can begin. It’s going to be hard, but we can’t risk infection to the baby,” Carlisle said. Alice and I stared at Bella her skin glistening and becoming even paler than she already was. Alice moved to her immediately toward her shoulder, “What are we going to do about her shoulder, Carlisle?” Carlisle looked up from the drawers he was combing through. He had already removed his coat as well along with all of his jewelry in preparation for the surgery. Carlisle glanced at me, “Edward, fill a syringe with morphine as well as some of your venom. I have a feeling we are going to need to stab her heart with the venom to have a chance at saving Bella’s life.” I nodded as Carlisle moved to Alice who stood by Bella’s shoulder. Quickly I moved to fill the syringe with the morphine. Despite the fact that Bella was unconscious from both shock and blood loss there was still the chance that she would wake up from the pain. It was the last thing we needed; the last thing I needed was to hear her screaming from the pain.