PART 1: FEAST OF WAR, Ch. 6

6

In the Middle Ages, the Bachassau Castle used to be one of the most formidable war forts of the empire. One of its most important characteristics had been, apart from its extensive forests that confused the enemy, a series of strong defensive forts located in strategic places. However, after countless sieges, wars, abandonment and administrative neglect, the castle remained in ruins, including its forts. When the Einsiedel acquired Bachassau, they left only one of these forts, and destroyed the rest. After the reconstruction and remodeling of the castle, it was time to take care of the forts. Only a stone cross three meters high rests on two of them, while the third was rebuilt as an English Victorian villa, in the middle of the forest, and serves mainly as an emergency shelter. That's where we're headed tonight.

Apparently, Luciana annihilated what was left of the demons in the castle before meeting me, due to which we found no difficulties in our way. What's even more mysterious, she doesn't look at all like someone who just fought against demons. Her uniform is impeccable. Whether she is lying or not, I'll only know when I see her in combat.

Even though images of what happened in the underground corridors soon make it to my mind, I force myself to be alert to our surroundings while driving. In my mind, one by one, I can see the faces of the maidens who were left behind, and I can hear their cries that we drown as the rest of us escaped. I shake my head from time to time to force myself to think about the present situation.

But Luciana is quick to notice.

"Is something wrong?" she wants to know, sitting in the passenger seat.

I try to switch her attention by offering another topic of conversation.

"It must be strange for you, training to fight against demons."

I'm concentrating on the road ahead, but out of the corner of my eye I see Luciana with her eyes fixed on my face after hearing me, and then she ducks her head a little.

"Not at all. It comes to me more naturally than I expected."

I ponder over the meaning of "natural" in this context. Does it mean that it is possible that this girl became a killing machine overnight? And, in addition, even after expecting some degree of difficulty, she went on.

"By the way, how old are you?"

"Twenty-three."

I'm favorably impressed. When I found her in the tower, I couldn't see her at all. A locked door divided us. By the tone of her voice, a helpless tone, full of sadness, a little rough, I assumed she was a young boy, and basically it was this aspect, that she could be a young kid, which prompted me to promise to send someone to rescue her. If she had been a man, I couldn't have cared less.

"Actually, I can't feel it as well as you do." She's talking about the presence of demons. "But the arrival of those..."

"...Demons."

"Yeah. The arrival of the demons..." But before continuing, Luciana interrupts herself in order to clarify the following: "I've read only a little theory, but isn't that enough?"

"Yes, it can be" I grant her. "However, that would invalidate years of studies that affirm that there are other ways. One of them is that I could feel it myself."

I turn my face a little to look at her. She is also focused on the road, but when she hears my words, she turns her face to me.

"How?"

I look back at the road, as I explain:

"A few days following my birth, the Lightning Scepter manifested itself inside me. In case of any complications, it was decided that it would be hidden. I had a normal life." I give Luciana a sweet look, in case she assumes something happened to me in the meantime. "However, there was an attack... a few years ago." At this, Luciana's eyes open a little wider, expressing her surprise. "But that was unannounced."