PART 2: FAITHLESS HERO, Ch. 7

7

Luciana

When she leaves the room, I can still smell the faint lingering of her perfume among my confusion, and my limbs move mechanically behind her.

From what I have understood, it's dangerous for Odette to leave Bachassau without someone acting as her physical strength. She barely made it out alive from the attack the other day, so it's only natural that the Einsiedel elders worry about the decision she has made.

But, even so...

Could it be that they're afraid that the attack may go directly to them later, and so they don't want the Lightning Scepter, the powerful weapon that protects Odette, to be far from Odette's father and Lady Irene, especially Lady Irene?

As I walk, as fast as I can trying to reach Odette, I can't help but be convinced of this. This is a dangerous war to death, where not only is it necessary to fight hand to hand, but an intelligent strategy is mandatory. I do everything I can to make up for Odette's physical weakness, and I've seen that she's a very insightful woman, but the pressure exerted on her may be too much for someone who's only used to the most luxurious things in life, where everything is easily given to her. She's not made for war, and she knows it.

Even so... only a few days have passed since the war began, but it seems that she doesn't want anything else. I'm afraid that she makes a bad decision. It is said that the Lightning Scepter is so powerful that it's basically a great force to make wishes come true, so it's not surprising that so many are looking for it. And... Odette has it dematerialized inside her. I wish I'd know what she wants from this war, if she wants anything at all.

Even if she doesn't wish for anything, she's the one standing in the most dangerous spot.

A group of maids who transport bedding and other things are looking into one of the corridors of this section of the castle with unrestrained curiosity. They look a little puzzled by something, so I guess it's because Odette went through the same hallway right now, making a fuss. As soon as the maidens become aware of my presence, they move aside to the side of the corridor and bow deeply in return.

There is a double door, tall and narrow, at the end of the hallway. When I call, I'm ready to ask for Odette's whereabouts, but when the door opens I find an antechamber maid, with the attire that alludes to her position, looking at me with fawn eyes. As soon as she sees my uniform, she ducks her head, expecting a reprimand. Instead of leaving me standing in the doorway, she makes me enter immediately, followed by a deep and polite bow, at the level of an antechamber maid, who represents a kind of authority that sets her apart from the rest of the household servants, especially an old and aristocratic castle like Bachassau. She, however, asks me to identify myself in a very humble murmur:

"May I ask who you are, sir? You cannot enter Lady Irene's chamber if you haven't been called."

Then we both look at the door in front of us, which leads to the main room, paying attention to the heartbreaking voice that speaks from the other side.

"...Mother! Don't you see? We're surrounded by demons who want to kill us. This war is getting out of control and our aspiration as a family has become something different. This isn't right, this is far from right! I can't stand it. I can't stand it!... you, father, they all lie all the time! This is not OK!"

The maid's lips in front of me form a small 'o'. She seems to lament me having to hear that, but as far as I'm concerned, I don't care. It's not the words, it's the person I'm looking for.

The maid lowers her head and says with haste, maybe hoping my entry might change the atmosphere:

"Please, do come in. Lady Irene is ailing."