PART 1: FEAST OF WAR, Ch. 7

7

I've learned that, in addition to her training to fight demons, Luciana is also a kind of bodyguard, and can basically drive any type of transportation that you ask her to. She is practical, courteous, and doesn't express any opinion unless she knows all sides of a story, so, regardless of what you say, she always takes a moment to reflect on my words. I make a mental note to review her stats file as soon as I can get a hold of it, so I can use her in the most effective way.

Use her in the most effective way, I repeat to myself. In doing this, thinking that I should give her tasks, it's not because she has convinced me that I should put myself on the side of war. I do it simply because this girl worked very hard to get to where she is in the lapse of a year, and I don't want to dismiss her efforts carelessly. It's not fair for her. From a neutral point of view, since she is in this situation, she must do something about it, so sitting still with arms crossed will not do much for her, to be honest.

I have also make an effort to remember our conversation in the tower. It's difficult to remember anything at all when, at that time, I wasn't at my best mentally, because... well, that night I could've died. I had just overturned my car, I was shivering due to the cold, and I had run through the rain and darkness until I could find some shelter, wait for the night to clear up, and think about a solution. If I was lucky, I could borrow a phone and ask for a chauffeur to take me back to Bachassau. Meanwhile, I had the feeling of advancing through forests, farm and cattle ranches, and low hills. Later I would confirm my suspicions.

That's when I almost completely crashed on a stone wall, covered with climbing plants.

When I touched the wall, I noticed that it was slightly curved, and I followed along this curve until I reached a wet wooden door. In the midst of the darkness, and, of course, without being able to see anything, each movement was a false step, like finding oneself blindfolded on the edge of a precipice. My ring finger caught the cold, wet latch on the door, which did not seem to have a padlock. I felt it, examining it to be able to distinguish its type. It seemed to be a simple door hitch. I took the open end and picked it up. To my surprise, the door opened without any difficulty.

The door screeched when it opened, but this noise got lost with the falling of the rain. It was possible that the house to which this place belonged was built a little further away, and if so, who would get to hear anything at all? I entered quickly, and sat on the floor near the door. It's funny, but even though I never saw that tower in broad daylight, I imagine that, despite everything, it must have been a lovely place. I imagine it in the middle of a flower garden and surrounded by birds. A fantastic place where no one would think that something horrible was happening.

My sole intention at that moment was to recover a little heat and wait for the night to clear, and then decide what to do about my situation. When I sat on the floor, I squeezed my dress to wipe off some of the water, and it was with that drip, I suppose, that Luciana woke up, and then called. I suppose anyone would go through the most intense and chilling horror after hearing a voice in the midst of darkness.

"Hello? Hello?" called Luciana, except that, at the time, I thought I had heard a child. "Who's there?"

With my hands, I patted the floor around me recklessly, but I only touched the cold, wet stone floor.

"Hello!" I answered, and for a moment I thought that the voice didn't exist at all, since during that time I didn't hear any noise.

I got up slowly and walked with caution in order to avoid some other accident. The tip of my sandal hit something hard, and as I stooped to touch the object, I realized that it was a stair. What if someone lived there, and I had just entered like a thief?