PART 5: PLATINUM BRILLIANCE, Ch. 4

4

Through the edges of each symbol in the magic circle, calling all entities and forces known to man in the universe, a strong white light is expelled from another world.

The edges of each drawing blur, slowly, and the light, struggling to enter this world, burns on those edges, trying to escape. The stone floor beneath the magic circle crumbles, and then the light comes out, blinding us for a moment. Only when the light begins to diminish, our eyes adjust to the image in front of us. The magic circle has disappeared. Instead, there is a black circle of pure atavistic energy.

It's so pure and powerful that our eyes can see the small currents swirling inside, like little whirlpools.

Luciana blinks a few times to make sure that what she's seeing isn't an echo of the strong light that the magic circle released, but that it's a pool of real and pristine magical energy.

"Let's go," I say.

She doesn't hesitate.

Taking my hand in her hand covered in cold armor, we step inside the magic circle. In the center, a warm and light wind from another dimension rises around us.

I can see the glow that her body emits when our bodies disappear from this world. I can't take a step back. Around us, outside the magic circle, the flowers and plants of the parterre tremble, shaken by the roar of the wind, their silhouettes shining faintly in the light of the night. That's the last image that my eyes capture before my consciousness vanishes.

For a moment, I think I open my eyes in the same place.

No. It's the same warmth that surrounds us, a torrid atmosphere like the desert, but it's not the same place.

I raise my torso slowly, running my hand along the breastplate of my armor, looking around and feeling as if everything my eyes look was a lie.

A metallic sound next to me draws my attention to the side. Luciana has also woken up. The place remains completely silent, but, somewhere far, far away, my ear picks up a sound of constant fury, almost like waves of the sea. I wonder if there is such a place in this dimension.

When I look up, the sky is black, even blacker than on planet earth, but the stars in the distance flicker with a stronger light. There are millions of stars, and I get up without taking my eyes off the stunning sight.

It's the first time I've tried to think about where in the whole expanse of the universe this dimension is located.

Bachassau must be millions of light-years away!

Suddenly, the sensation of smallness invades me, and I accept it with fear, but laughing at the same time.

"Are you okay, Odette?" Luciana asks, approaching me.

"I was finding out how small I feel. Don't you feel that way too?"

Her eyebrows wrinkle.

"It's... different."

"Don't you feel overwhelmed?"

"I suppose, somewhere inside, I could. But..."

"What a brave knight you are, then," I say smiling.

She looks down at me when she hears me laugh. Somehow, even I'm amazed at my good mood at this time.

"Odette..."

"I know what you're thinking," I say, taking a step forward. "Let's get this over with once and for all!"

While we walk in search of a path, I look around the place.