PART 5: PLATINUM BRILLIANCE, Ch. 5

5

We go to the light dome as fast as we can.

Halfway, however, we began to notice and distinguish the architecture of the place, and so, with a choked cry, I realize that the lights belong to the Crystal Castle of the Goddess, the same place where my predecessor Juna landed in her dream, centuries ago.

But, I breathe abruptly not because of the lights, or because of the unreality of the construction, but because this place, once a splendid beauty, is now in ruins, and the lights are pale, shining only thanks to the darkness of the night in contrast. Those pale lights are what we've been seeing since we arrived at this place.

The sound of the waves is much louder here, and my curiosity about this particular music grows as we enter the place. I can feel the demonic presence too, and Luciana has already taken out her sword.

"This place was impressive before the great war," Luciana commented in a murmur of voice.

Silent, Luciana directs her eyes from my face towards everything that surrounds her. She fixes her eyes on the tall glass columns, the translucent walls, the crystalline floor... it seems that everything was done to reflect every light in sight, but now, everything is under the saddest tarnish I have seen. The dark atmosphere makes its way inside me, and I can't help but contemplate everything with pity and pain.

"Do you think... do you think the Goddess died?"

It takes me a while to forge an answer that can satisfy Luciana.

What she says is a possibility, it's true, but I always thought that, if she were dead, then none of this would be here. I wish I could know the history of this dimension, but, then, it's possible that there is no real origin, and perhaps this idea, that its origin is nonexistent, is something that no one can understand, and we would have to arrive at a satisfactory answer as the theory of the Big Bang. When I think about those things, I can't help but feel that I'm in a place of so much uncertainty, and I think about the length of time, how small and how short my existence is in comparison.

All I manage to do is slowly shake my head in spite of myself.

"I want to think she's alive," I reply, trying to look hopeful in front of her.

But, suddenly, Luciana extends a hand around my waist and embraces me pulling me to her side in one quick movement.

"Odette, you should take out the Lightning Scepter right now," she murmurs near my ear. "One big blow. And we can end once and for all."

As she speaks, my mind drifts away, and I'm taken back from my mental being to the physical one, the Odette who is walking through this gloomy hall.

Little by little I notice the lurking presence of the beings that surround us, hidden behind the columns, ready to attack.

But they don't move. I can see their shadows, almost merging with the rest of the place... this is the true meaning of "Dark Force". I feel as if I swallowed this force, flooding my lungs with the most frightening pressure I have experienced as we approached the door on the other side.

Even so, I take a deep breath, making an effort to concentrate.

Still holding me by the waist, Luciana looks around us, while I manifest the Lightning Scepter.

Along with the sound emitted by the energy propellers, I can hear the growing growl of demons.

"Give it to me, and I'll finish it for you," says Luciana.

I pass the scepter to her.

"Hah. Come on, little bastards!"

Two things happen all at once.